PTC list of color options to have my PRS painted in?

Bluesverb

Currently in a long term relationship with myself!
Hi. Does anyone know of a list of colors that I can have my PRS SAS painted in? BTW - I don't want a "standard" color. I want something different to make it "mine", versus a blue or a red. I wanted a Foil color, but, they stopped doing Foils at the PTC.

It's kind of like they see what you ask of them. For example, black or white, no problem. A 1988 "Metal Guitar" or Foil, is a no.

My conversation with them awhile back was any core/artist color from production, past or present.

This! That is exactly what you can chose from. I don't know of a list though. What you can't get, is things that are strictly for PS. For example, no Glows, Dragon's Breath, etc.

I've had two in for refinish, and couldn't be happier with the results, and how it all went down (communication, advice, etc). The other thing you need to keep in mind is that the new finish needs to be in the same color space as your current finish. That is because they can't get 100% of the old stain off. For example, if your guitar is currently blue, and you wanted it to be Vintage Yellow, you would risk areas of green because of the blue finish that would remain. The first I sent in was a Whale Blue Cu22 that I wanted in some shade of Orange. Due to the blue, orange was an option. Matt King gave me some options that might work, and then I went o my friend, Google, and started looking for colors. I settled on Purple Hazel burst, and it turned out better than I ever imagined.

Take your time, and enjoy the process!

I've done 3 refinishes via the PTC to date and their work is pretty incredible. I'm pretty much sending a guitar down every 8 to 10 weeks (I'm addicted to their services). Bodia made a very valid point though, certain refinishes can' be done well due to the contrast. For instance, I had an orange singlecut and my only option was super dark finishes as orange bleeds like an S.O.B. so I settled on gray black. The next one I plan on sending down will be going from a Mccarty Sunburst to Turquoise (a color which they haven't offered in years but can still be done via refinish).

My guitar is a SAS bolt on. The body is natural, show it is pretty much a blank slate. I love Swamp Ash, but, in natural is kind of boring. I don't want a sunburst or a "standard" color. I want something different.

I think the finishes found on the maple tops would look completely different on the SAS.
I would ask the PTC what they would suggest on a SAS body. I would also like a whitewash one with contrasting black in the swamp ash grain, or I would ask for a Light blue (think FBJ type) again with black grain... (I hope this makes sense... :) )

Back