PSA: Line 6 G10 Wireless with P22/24/245 etc.

dmatthews

Dave's not here
I had been using two Line 6 G30 wireless units for my P22 for quite a while. One in the mix/mag, and one in the piezo jack.
Everything worked well. I was using rechargeable batteries so there was that "maintenance" thing. The thing that got to me was having two transmitter packs on my guitar strap. Not really too heavy, but noticeable. But once in a while one of them would jump off while I leapt around the stage.:oops:
When I saw the Line 6 G10 "bug" style I had to have it. No more stuff on my strap, and no more battery management! http://line6.com/relay/g10
But...
The bug has a TRS plug, and one of the connectors is for charging. This makes it incompatible for the P22 mix/mag jack, and in the end the piezo jack as well. The answer?

A Hosa 1/4" angled mono M/F plug! At first I got away with just one in the mix/mag jack, but for some reason over time the bug in the piezo ceased to operate properly, leaving me with a low volume unaffected by the volume pot. So I took the guitar apart and found that both jacks are TRS.
I got a second Hosa adaptor, and now we're good to go! Resulting in this...

Might look a little weird but I don't care.:p

Someone needs to do some dusting...:eek::oops:

What about the sound? Do you feel that it is as good as being plugged? Specially on the piezo...

Thanks!

What about the sound? Do you feel that it is as good as being plugged? Specially on the piezo...

Thanks!
There are those that say they can tell the difference between cables. I am not one of them. I cannot tell the difference between the G10 and a good cable.
24 bit digital seems legit.

I use two G30's with my P22 as well. I put them both in a transmitter pouch, the piezo signal transmitter pouch is on the P22 strap, and the mix/mag transmitter goes on my belt so I can change guitars to my CU24 and 594. I would have to buy several spare transmitters to do it any other way.
I find the tone with a wireless works great for me.

Sigh. I wish I could dedicate enough stage space for two separate amps for my P24 or HB. Instead, I use an acoustic amp, with an amp emulator for when I want dirty elec sound with delay as needed, and relatively straight in for acoustic-ish. A Boss LS-2 handles the switching so I don't tap-dance. So I just use one wireless (G30), on my belt since I switch instruments 10 times a gig at least, usually.

Anyway, sounds like you have a great solution!

I use two G30's with my P22 as well. I put them both in a transmitter pouch, the piezo signal transmitter pouch is on the P22 strap, and the mix/mag transmitter goes on my belt so I can change guitars to my CU24 and 594. I would have to buy several spare transmitters to do it any other way.
I find the tone with a wireless works great for me.
Good idea!

Sigh. I wish I could dedicate enough stage space for two separate amps for my P24 or HB. Instead, I use an acoustic amp, with an amp emulator for when I want dirty elec sound with delay as needed, and relatively straight in for acoustic-ish. A Boss LS-2 handles the switching so I don't tap-dance. So I just use one wireless (G30), on my belt since I switch instruments 10 times a gig at least, usually.

Anyway, sounds like you have a great solution!
That's a lot of guitar swapping! One nice thing about the G10 is the little button at the base of the plug. When plugged in, the button engages/starts the bug, and when unplugged it cuts the audio so no worries with that nasty snap crackle pop of unplugging without turning the TX off first.
That being said, there's a 4 minute timer on the bug. If no audio for 4 minutes it shuts itself off and you have to wake it with a note or strum. That caught me a couple of times at practice before getting used to it.

Well, I don't always switch to just another electric guitar, sometimes it is a mandolin, or an acoustic guitar, or the baritone electric, or the banjo :eek:.

yeah, I still haven't wrapped my head around that last one either.

Well, I don't always switch to just another electric guitar, sometimes it is a mandolin, or an acoustic guitar, or the baritone electric, or the banjo :eek:.

yeah, I still haven't wrapped my head around that last one either.
You're not supposed to wrap your head around a banjo. You use it to wrap it around other people's heads. Preferably the drummer.

Or as kindling for an accordion fire.

Just kidding, I like banjo! :)

I just found out about the G10 issue myself. I was at MA Petes for a PRS fest and my P24 trem would not work with the G10 at all. I had played it at home 2 days prior and all was good. I just had some work done on it a few days before that and I thought they messed it up.

I got it home and it worked perfectly with my G30.

The issue was the little kill button on it did not jell with the inputs on the guitar.

You're not supposed to wrap your head around a banjo. You use it to wrap it around other people's heads. Preferably the drummer.

Or as kindling for an accordion fire.

Just kidding, I like banjo! :)
Awesome! Yeah, we make banjo jokes all the time. I must admit, three years ago there was no way I could ever see myself playing that instrument. And what I do might not be called playing, at least nothing special, just accompaniment plucking or mild strumming, none of that fancy finger picking clawhammer bluegrass madness!

I just found out about the G10 issue myself. I was at MA Petes for a PRS fest and my P24 trem would not work with the G10 at all. I had played it at home 2 days prior and all was good. I just had some work done on it a few days before that and I thought they messed it up.

I got it home and it worked perfectly with my G30.

The issue was the little kill button on it did not jell with the inputs on the guitar.
I've also read that some people had luck using a washer so that the bug doesn't sit in the jack so deeply, but that seems too fiddly for me.

I use a lot of special effects in different songs so I never venture too far away from my midi board so I've given up on wireless. I used a Samson concert series back in the day. It was the bomb when it came out in the mid 80s. I still have the dang thing.

I use a lot of special effects in different songs so I never venture too far away from my midi board so I've given up on wireless. I used a Samson concert series back in the day. It was the bomb when it came out in the mid 80s. I still have the dang thing.
Understandable.
I'm one of those guys who walks back to my amp for a swig of "water":pafter each song. Inevitably it is a counter clockwise rotation back to the mic. Just end up with a coiled up PITA cord on the stage.
I'm the guy you DON'T want to follow out of the desert.:rolleyes:

Back