PRS Two Channel "C" Proto Signed Tube Guitar Amp Head

Cmnaround

Hi All, just went to check out a used PRS Two Channel "C" Proto Signed Tube Guitar Amp Head at a local guitar center. Was all set to buy it but when they turned it on there were some odd signs - 1 it sounded great but did not get very loud, 2 the reverb was barely noticeable even when pegged at 10, and 3, the effects send knob controlled the overall volume of the amp - with nothing plugged into the effects send or return. Question - is the volume control by the effects send normal? And should there be noticeable reverb when the reverb is turned on? On the way home I looked quickly at sweetwater and see I could get a new one for $50 more than the used one, -although the used one is 50 watts and was signed as 1 of 50 original. Any big differences between this early prototype and the new 2 channel?
Thanks!

The effects send and return are active and absolutly effect the volume of the amp ( Similar to a second master Volume ) set at 2 o'clock the amp will get very loud.
The 2 - Channel C is a more vintage ( classic ) sounding and with the H ( or Custom ) being more modern ( according to PRS )
The C or H or Custom are all 50 watts
As far as value goes it only worth something if the sound works for you !!
I for one would like to have a C

On the way home I looked quickly at sweetwater and see I could get a new one for $50 more than the used one, -although the used one is 50 watts and was signed as 1 of 50 original. Any big differences between this early prototype and the new 2 channel?

Generally speaking, you won't see more value from a limited run these days, as there are so many. Usually subsequent runs fix problems or adjust features based on feedback from users, so I'd expect a better, more reliable amp that was not a first run. I'd pop for the extra $50. But that's me. I simply don't care who signed an amp. I just play through them.

Yeah, I always worry about whether it's been dropped or whether the output transformer has been abused. I still buy used amps (all of my current amps were used), but I also usually have to retube and fix problems. I'm technical, so it's a risk I can roll with. I just got some replacement electronics for my latest used amp.

Back