Prs sightings at the local gig

dkilpatrick

Makes guitar faces
I went to see a buddy’s band play at the Hard Rock last night, and they put on a great show. There were 5 bands on the bill and I was happy to see some Prsi being used by some of them.

SC245
Custom 24 30th
An old CE 24 with wings
Core Tremonti
SE Bernie

Cool!

Always nice to see someone else that's into the good stuff. That's a nice roster of guitars!

The guitarist from one of the more noteable bands in my area plays PRS, I've seen him with some cool stuff. A nice DGT, Custom 22, and a CE that he put a piezo into, that worked really well. He's a great player, and they're a very good band. Nice originals and they also do plenty of covers, so they work a lot, and everyone in the group "gets it" when it comes to making it a crowd friendly show. Which makes those PRS guitars presence even better.

I'm off to play at the the DC Blues Society today. Unfortunately, there will be one PRS there, my SAS. There may also be a singer there who thinks that everyone who plays PRS is a rich ******* who can't play. He ignores the custom made and vintage instrument$. Certainly not who I am. And his talent level matches his intellect.

These 4 get gigged all the time. I like to think I am doing my part to dispel the PRS Guitars "got no mojo" prejudice that may still exist along the gulf coast. Because when you hear these PRS thru my Matchless, the great tone is undeniable. I had a Fender exclusive pro player come up to me in May and literally bow down to my rig during the break.

I ran into some of that "********" sentiment the other day when I went to jam with a drummer. The drummer has a sound guy (the practice place is more studio than basement) and after talking a bit, asked me what I brought. I opened the case and said "Just a '96 PRS CE24....nothing special today." Guy went off on a rant about how I could have saved money by buying a G faded LP and, after some new pickups and a setup, I could have a better tone. He then asked me what other guitars and gear and I owned.....I gave him a brief run down. He shook his head and told me that I needed an M amp and some pedals and how I spent too much money.

Anyways, this went on for awhile and I just smiled, sipped my beer, and nodded my head. It comes plug in time and he asked if I needed a cable. Nope. So he has me plug into a first generation POD. I looked at it, figured out how to pull up the tuner, messed with the controls a bit, and hit a chord. Honestly, between the settings on the POD and the way he had the board channel dialed in, it was a very acceptable tone even over headphones. They have a recorder setup and even playback sounded good.

After the first jam, he was apologizing for bashing my "Doctors Only" guitar and complimenting me on my playing and how I was able to get good tone from the POD. Apparently I was just supposed to be some douche that couldn't play but made enough to buy an overpriced PRS. I chuckled, said "No worries", and went back to playing. Drummer turned out to be really good and I can read his changes rather well given we were just riffing off of each other.

I admit, 20 years ago I thought the same way. Was in El Paso TX at a bar watching a band with a buddy who asked me "What do you think of PRS?" My response "Overpriced wall hangers. Stick with F and G". Fast forward to today and all he and I own are PRS. Go figure.....

I ran into some of that "********" sentiment the other day when I went to jam with a drummer. The drummer has a sound guy (the practice place is more studio than basement) and after talking a bit, asked me what I brought. I opened the case and said "Just a '96 PRS CE24....nothing special today." Guy went off on a rant about how I could have saved money by buying a G faded LP and, after some new pickups and a setup, I could have a better tone. He then asked me what other guitars and gear and I owned.....I gave him a brief run down. He shook his head and told me that I needed an M amp and some pedals and how I spent too much money.

Anyways, this went on for awhile and I just smiled, sipped my beer, and nodded my head. It comes plug in time and he asked if I needed a cable. Nope. So he has me plug into a first generation POD. I looked at it, figured out how to pull up the tuner, messed with the controls a bit, and hit a chord. Honestly, between the settings on the POD and the way he had the board channel dialed in, it was a very acceptable tone even over headphones. They have a recorder setup and even playback sounded good.

After the first jam, he was apologizing for bashing my "Doctors Only" guitar and complimenting me on my playing and how I was able to get good tone from the POD. Apparently I was just supposed to be some douche that couldn't play but made enough to buy an overpriced PRS. I chuckled, said "No worries", and went back to playing. Drummer turned out to be really good and I can read his changes rather well given we were just riffing off of each other.

I admit, 20 years ago I thought the same way. Was in El Paso TX at a bar watching a band with a buddy who asked me "What do you think of PRS?" My response "Overpriced wall hangers. Stick with F and G". Fast forward to today and all he and I own are PRS. Go figure.....

hahahaha I'm a drummer with 7 core line or better PRSi. Not only do I suck at playing them, but with the heavy firepower I have for amplifiers, I make sure that everyone for at least two blocks in each direction knows how bad I suck. ;)

Gigged this the past couple weeks. Left my artist at home and gave this gem some love.

Always nice to see a PRS on stage. Especially mine.

Pic is from a gig at a historic pool hall turned restaurant.
Is that an '87/88 CE?? and a Blackstar if i'm not mistaken.

Back