PRS SE245 Stoptail string gauge/intonation

GavQuinn

Hi Guys,

I have my 2 SE 245 guitars set up with USA nuts, filed out for 11s.

I did the intonation just fine as Paul said in the video, set the 2 E strings and sure enough, intonation has fallen into place. I did leave the bass side a bit flat at the 12th fret, this kept the lower strings sounding in tune as chords moved up the neck.

My question is regarding the limits of this bridge.

Will this bridge intonate well with a set of 10/52 strings or 11/52? I'm just concerned about the big jump on the bass side. It was fine on my Starla and feels great, but that has the tune o matic. I know I'd prob need to move the bass side back further again and certainly sand out the nut slots.

If anyone has experience of this, if this 1 piece stoptail will still intonate on this scale with thin top, heavy bottoms.

Thank You!

I agree, you should be fine. My only negative experience was trying to go to a set of 8's.

I managed to get 8s intonated pretty well on my Bernie with its stop-tail.

You know what, you're right. It was a set of 7s that I was trying to get on a Ted! I tossed the 7s :p

Never tried 7s on the Bernie, but tried them on my SG. Holy mother of all things spaghetti - I could pull off 3 step bends almost anywhere on the fretboard. The only problem was I was aiming for half-step bends...:oops:

Never tried 7s on the Bernie, but tried them on my SG. Holy mother of all things spaghetti - I could pull off 3 step bends almost anywhere on the fretboard. The only problem was I was aiming for half-step bends...:oops:

Right there with ya on that! How the Reverend Billy G gets all that out of 7s is beyond me!

I have 10-52 on my 24.5" scale Starla, that's a great set for that scale, but that guitar has the tune-o-matic. It's the non-adjustable stoptail that I'm concerned about with this string gauge.

I know the bridge will be angled to compensate, it's already angled for 0.11s, I'm just wondering if the bridge will work with such a difference, such an angle.

With 10-52 the saddles on the tune-o-matic have to come right back on the bass side, but not the treble.

I have 10-52 on my 24.5" scale Starla, that's a great set for that scale, but that guitar has the tune-o-matic. It's the non-adjustable stoptail that I'm concerned about with this string gauge.

I know the bridge will be angled to compensate, it's already angled for 0.11s, I'm just wondering if the bridge will work with such a difference, such an angle.

With 10-52 the saddles on the tune-o-matic have to come right back on the bass side, but not the treble.

No experience with this gauge of strings, but you could always give it a try. Considering the design of the bridge and considering that you will be intonating both E strings, the variance between the other strings should not be too far off from their respective E-strings. Thus, it could work, but you may run into issues with the D & G strings. However, they should be roughly in the right ballpark.

From what I have read online, the biggest intonation headache with these bridges is usually with wound G strings.

Back