PRS SE...who would've thought?

BallsofDoom

Well I am convinced that the Korean PRS SE guitars are very much a real "PRS" and not just a cheaper mass produced knock off. They play and sound so well and that I've sold a USA made Gibson SG to fund a new Custom 22 semi hollow... without even playing it! (it was well worth it) I don't know if I even want a core model anymore considering how these SE's blow away most USA guitars I've owned throughout the 25 years I've been playing! It's crazy... I have not had to change anything other than widening the nut slots to fit my 10-56 strings. The pickups are quality too... especially after adjusting the height and pole pieces. I actually like the stock "Tone Furnace" pups better than most I've come across.

Big question is...Are the on shore PRS guitars really that much better than the imports? What am I missing here that can justify dropping 3g's on a core? I've seen some versus videos on youtube and the differences seem very small in terms of sound quality.

My SE's are really nice. I have a mint older Singlecut trem guitar, a Yellow flame Santana trem, two Custom 24's, and a super nice black grey flame Tremonti Custom. I put raw nickel silver pickup covers on most of them so far. I don't care for zebra pickups. The Tremonti has black and black pickups, no zebras and I dig the way it looks, plus it is a really great guitar.

I would like to find a nicely priced, nearly mint used American one.

I consider myself fortunate to own both an SE Zach Meyers and SE Bernie.

I would gladly match them up against some 'high-end' USA manufacturers, and win by a country mile (quality of instrument...not my playing of them).

The SE guitars are phenomenal. Both of mine are built exceptionally well, and really punch above their weight class.

I feel my Core PRS is in a totally different league, with respect to quality...but I play all three of them equally. I absolutely feel that the SE range can stand alongside the Core models in many respects

Last edited:
My experience is a well set up Asian made SE will perform just as good as a well set up USA made PRS guitar. Currently I have only SEs. My experience and opinion could be biased as I am cheap by nature and always look for the greater value for money while demanding a serviceable level of quality for it but I do enjoy to see what the guys here are getting from the core range, and the top shelf in the Private Stock lounge, etc.

No question the SE line are top quality instruments, often compared to guitars twice their price. The fact that they go through a final QC at the factory shows PRS' commitment to putting out A-one instruments across the board.

Quality of materials and labor cost are the biggest determining factors of end price, imho.
No question that the SE line is fabulous. It's all personal preference.
At the moment, my personal favorite PRS is the S2 Vela.
It's not a matter of price or what's perceived as 'better', what really matters is what works for you and makes you happy...

@BallsofDoom, indeed, PRS SE are very valueable instruments. Being little heretic, there might be only little difference in tone compared a SE Custom 24 with a Core Custom 24. But on the other hand there are PRSi Core in Stock that won´t be available made abroad (especially 509, or the discontinued 513, the Brent Mason and so on), on the other hand even SE deals with guitars only available at the SE line (Signatures by Holcomb, Myers, Friedman, Ace, Akerfeldt to name a few).
You have to name your specs, then you might go with a SE or a Core (or maybe with a S2).

the differences seem very small in terms of sound quality.

Well.......................... I was with you 100% up until that last statement. Yes, SE are the best imported guitar you can get your hands on and the quality for the price is stellar, but keep in mind that you are listening to recordings on videos and the quality of those recordings most likely are not the highest quality. I suggest you try out a few of the core models and the S2 models (more than just one), I'm quite sure after putting a few of the other models in your hands and listening to them with your own ears, that this will change your view. I'm very confident in this statement.

That said, I'm not trying to dissuade you from purchasing an SE model (for the price, unbeatable), but PRS produces a wide range of products so it's always good to have the whole picture.
Good luck on your future purchase!

Quality of materials and labor cost are the biggest determining factors of end price, imho.
No question that the SE line is fabulous. It's all personal preference.
At the moment, my personal favorite PRS is the S2 Vela.
It's not a matter of price or what's perceived as 'better', what really matters is what works for you and makes you happy...
Food for thought!

I think the SE line is great. Owned a SE Soapy II that I still regret selling. Everything about that guitar felt right. Especially the neck.

Had been trying out the SE 245 and Santana Standard. But when I found the used Mira X, it was love at first pick. Yes, what I have was modified. However, the attention to detail and the extra quality of the core line instrument (like frets, tuners and bridge) made it the better value. For me. Plus, it was just as cheap as a new SE.

But if that hadn't been available, would have grabbed one of the SE models and been just as happy.

I guess I could also complain about the thick candycoat poly finishes they use overseas... being so used to nitro I am tempted to sand the necks but that is only a minor complaint and an easy remedy.

Well I am convinced that the Korean PRS SE guitars are very much a real "PRS" and not just a cheaper mass produced knock off. They play and sound so well and that I've sold a USA made Gibson SG to fund a new Custom 22 semi hollow... without even playing it! (it was well worth it) I don't know if I even want a core model anymore considering how these SE's blow away most USA guitars I've owned throughout the 25 years I've been playing! It's crazy... I have not had to change anything other than widening the nut slots to fit my 10-56 strings. The pickups are quality too... especially after adjusting the height and pole pieces. I actually like the stock "Tone Furnace" pups better than most I've come across.

Big question is...Are the on shore PRS guitars really that much better than the imports? What am I missing here that can justify dropping 3g's on a core? I've seen some versus videos on youtube and the differences seem very small in terms of sound quality.

I think the hardware is superior on the USA models (generally speaking).

My SE cu24 is a very well finished and very good sounding guitar. I have had Gibsons and fenders more expensive than this and the SE isn't behind of them at all. It's playability is better, indeed.
This being said, my core PRSi are way better. They are better sounding, better finished, play like butter... I understand why a core is 4 times more expensive than a SE.

My first run SE Singlecut is the guitar I've had longer than any other. I did change a few things. I went through over half a dozen core models since I bought it. I must say though, that my 2 SCT's are better than the SE. The necks are a slightly different carve from the SE to core, even if they do say wide fat for all three.
My core models do sound better, too. Since one of them made a trip to the PTC, it's become my #1 ain't never gonna sell it guitar. Poor grammar intentional.
I agree that SE's are great. The right core can be better for you.

As someone who has owned several SEs, an S2 and recently aquired my first Core PRS, let me tell you.....As good as the SEs are, it only gets better. I thought my S2 was great until I picked up my core. Now my S2 and some other guitars may be sold to go towards another Core or CE.

Last edited:
Back