PRS SE guitar to go with SE 245

Drastion

I recently got a se 245 and othet than some strange mark in the finish I love it. I really just got it to try something different with the thick body and single cut. Main surprise was how much I liked the neck. It feels great in the hand. So I thought that I have finnaly found my brand I would look for something to compliment it. Something that's like it but different.

Really liked the specs on the new se clint model just don't like the inlays. Silly reason to not like it but things like the weird smudge in the wood on my 245 draw my eyes and bother me.

So I was thinking the custom 24. From what I read the difference between wide thin and fat is more shape. I have a original wizard neck on my ibanez so its about as thin as guitar necks get. Don't really like how super thin it is. I wish the neck on my 245 was just a touch thinner so maybe wide thin is the way to go.

So in the end I want something that the 245 is not so its easier to justify another guitar.

Big difference.
I have the SE Santana with wide/fat neck, and my other two SEs (Custom 24 and Tremonti Custom) have the wide/thin, and I prefer the wide/thin better.

25" scale too on the other two, I prefer that too over the 24.5" of the Santana which would be the same as your 245.

What is the big difference? From the specs its only 1/16" difference that doesn't sound like much.

But just saying you have three makes me feel better. Thought it mightbe strange. to have so many similar guitars. They all seem to be the same price and I rarely see them on sale. Where is a good place to get prs se online?

Seems like a big difference to me.
I just like the thinner neck better.
I also have a 2012 Gibson 61 Reissue SG that has the thin 60s profile neck, and the two SEs I have with the wide/thin neck are as easy (almost) to play as my SG.
My SG simply has the best neck I have ever played.

All three of my SEs play differently though.
Even though the Tremonti Custom has the wide/thin neck and a 25" scale, the Custom 24 is easier to play since it has easier access to the upper frets.

A good place to buy online is Sweetwater.
Custom 24
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=prs+se+custom+24
Tremonti Custom
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEMTMplTop

I am fortunate to have a great PRS dealer just down the road from my work, and they do complete setups on the guitars once they arrive from PRS.
I think they ship too.
www.asharpmusicco.com

I just bought an SE 245 and I really love it.
Like you, I'm currently looking for another SE model to compliment it and decided on the Tremonti Custom SE.
The Tremonti Custom SE is 25" scale, has a trem, a wide/thin neck carve, bird inlays, and the thicker body like the SE 245.

PRS has done one helluva good job with what they've done with the SE line, IMO. :)

To be honest with you, I would put their construction, fit, finish, playability very close to my $2K+ SG.
With 3 SEs already though, I think my next one will be the 408 MT with stopbar tailpiece.

To be honest with you, I would put their construction, fit, finish, playability very close to my $2K+ SG.

I agree ...
I'm really impressed with the quality control as well.
Every SE I've played has a really nice action and the intonation has always been spot on.
I don't even think twice about ordering an SE through the internet without playing it first.
They've been THAT good. ;)

Went to play my othe guitars and like the way they played again. Was kind of dissaponted and then I picked up my 245 again. I don't know what it is even with that thick neck it just plays better.

I really wish I had a place to try them out just to get a feel of the difference between the fat and thin necks. That and what a 25" scale would feel like. The short scale on the 245 makes the strings feel rubbery. They got a used custom on guitar center for $250. Cheap enough to jusy try out but don't want to miss out on all the great nee features they added to the 2012 model.

This may be a stupid question. But can you intonate each string seperately on a prs trem. I am not a fan of trems it just seems to soften the tension on the strings too much.

can you intonate each string seperately on a prs trem. I am not a fan of trems it just seems to soften the tension on the strings too much.

Yes, you can, each saddle is fully adjustable forward and back for intonation, as well as left & right height adjustments. Just block it if you are worried about movement. 3 of my 5 SEs are trems, non-blocked, and they are pretty stable even with stock tuners & nuts.

4 of my 5 are 22F wide/fat necks - although my favorite PRS necks ever are the early 90s wide/thins, these are my favorite among "beefier" necks. You will feel a difference between them, but it's a easy switch back and forth. I tired one of the newer Ibanez Semis (AM93) with the baseball bat neck and that went right back to GC, just could not bond with the neck.

To my hands, the neck on the new SECU24 feels a tad thinner than the older ones -- it's VERY close to the older Maryland wide/thins. I had a 2010 and got rid of that to finance the 2012 SECU24 because of the coil tapping. The single coil sounds on the new ones are great, said it before but I like them better than the tapped tones on my Mira.

With the 245 and a new SECU24, you could pretty much cover whatever musical ground you wanted. They are a great complement.

CantankerousCarl

Thank for all the info. Would you say the new neck would be considered thin or just thin for a prs?

If its a lot thinner like my ibanez 87 wizard neck not sure if I would like it. This would be an online order so I wouldn't get to try it out first. Funny I got the 245 just for something different. I didn't think I would end up loving it. If the wide thin was just a tough thinner it would make a really great feeling guitar. hope so anyways as that new clint lowey and seven string model look nice also.

If you don't mind me asking why have 4 guitars with the same neck?

If you don't mind me asking why have 4 guitars with the same neck?

Because my name is Carl, and I have a problem...;)

Also, one is HH trem, one is SSS trem, one is SSS fixed, and one is P90s fixed...so they're all different.

Can't answer you about the Ibz wizard vs. PRS w/t but the Ibzs I had played post-roadstar were generally too flat for my taste. The PRS w/t still has a nice curve to it. It's like a w/f that went on a diet.

Just make sure wherever you order online from has a satisfaction/return guarantee and, if you don't like it, send it back.

Bet you a set of Cleartones you'll keep it :)

They must have done well over the holidays lots of places are sold out some untill june! Some don't even have picks of the colors they have. Maybe they are new ones like the two new colors for the se 245 that I can't even find on the prsguitars website.

Will have to be carefull as I was pretty disappointed with the fit and finish of my first 245. Sent it back the new one has a better top pretty blah though. One pickup ring is a bit crooked, there is a strange bulge around the electronics pocket, and there is what looks like wood putty in the seam on the top like they dropped the board and put something on it to smooth out the marks.

I know no guitar is perfect especially a budget line. I love the feel and weight of it and don't want to try my luck again since there is nothing functionally defective about this one.

Yup, i'd go with with the C24.

Good match for my Bernie, and the C24 makes a good all rounder. Pleased with both my SE's. They meet or in many cases exceed what I expect of a guitar in that price range. Except the nuts which are junk! No biggie as they're cheap to replace.

Last edited:
Can you get a pre cut nut? I would like to get one but don't know how to get the right one.

PRS Nut:

http://www.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts/products/string-nuts-set-of-2

Tusq Nut:

BLACK TUSQ XL NUT 43X6 ( 1 11/16" / 1/4")
Product #: PT-6643-00

You may need to sand a little off the bottom to get the correct height. If in any doubt get a good tech to fit it. Not expensive.

I've been unlucky with the nuts on my SE's. I need to change the one on my SE C24 2012 as the high E is cut too low and is buzzing against the first fret. Can just about get away with it for now but it will need changing. May try a PRS one this time to compare to the Tusq.

Although i'm harsh about my feelings on the SE nuts, I think they really are amongst the best guitars out there. Don't think about swapping the nut unless you are having issues.

I am not having any specific issues with the nut. I would just like to put some tens on and looking at it there is just enough room for the factory 9s. So I am not sure it would fit. I got a load of 9s over the holidays I need to use first so its a long term thing. I don't have any techs around as I live in a nowhere town and am my own tech. Learned a lot just never tried and soldering or nut cuts as I don't have the tools. I need to crown the frets on my schecter but not sure if I want to get the $40 or $70 file because after I fix it I wont have much use. But those diamond files are said to last longer and may be usefull down the line. So much work into getting my guitars in line but I would rather be able to do it all myself as I plan on sticking with it for years to come.

I think you'd definately need the slots widening for 10's.

I'm tempted to buy a nut and do the job myself. I'm comfortable with setups and doing the electrics. I'm thinking I can't do too much damage fitting a nut. I've dressed the frets on my cheaper guitars but I still don't have the confidence to do that on my main Strat or SE's.

Watching YouTube it looks easy enough. Get a knife score the edge. Get a small piece of wood set it against the net and tap the wood with a small hammer.

Then they show worst case scenario of having to cut the nut with a saw to be able to break it down the middle. That was hard to watch since he sawed the nut till it looked like he was cutting the neck. That made me not want to try it. Can't imagine what it would feel like when sawing the nut then suddenly feel the teeth cutting into the wood of the neck scarry stuff for me at least.

Back