PRS SE EG neck crack - need opinion!

handy

So I bought a used PRS SE EG (with Budweiser graphics) over the internet and got it shipped over. Lo and behold - it had cracks around the neck-body joint!

Though I understand the crack is in the wood (took it to the GC tech) and the guitar is 'terminal', I really don't want to get rid of it since these EGs are hard to come by. I would appreciate some advice here - how bad do you think this is and how long do you think it has?

Also the tech mentioned the repair can go anywhere from $100 to 200+. Do you recommend getting it repaired now if I want to keep it or later when the crack gets more elaborate?

20140512_211724copy_zpse9767ff5.jpg
20140512_211703copy_zpsde8390ef.jpg
20140512_211800copy_zps1d17aa34.jpg
20140512_211737copy_zps89ae7e5f.jpg

Last edited:
If you can return it I would in a heartbeat. If you can't I would part it out and call it a life lesson. It's not worth fixing. It is and will always be an import guitar and they are out there for sale. Sorry for your luck on that deal

If its cracked it someones fault but yours, you will find another one, return this one.

By the way, i have one in white and to me PRS did one of the best neck profiles for this guitars.

Thanks for replying Prs2studio, nicolasrivera and toothace!
I communicated this to the seller and am waiting to hear back. I might return it or keep it to bash it around and try out the repair route later. But I am not sure how long does the neck have before it starts throwing problems. Considering I might be refunded partial amount, the repair ($150?) plus the cost might still be less than how much this sells for used.
Do repaired necks go down on the quality front or is it too dumb to even answer that :)

toothace - I am most definitely up for a fun repair :). There is no mobility in the joint. Should I wait for it to show mobility, play it around till then and then repair or is this the best time? If I may ask the question again, how long do you think it has before it starts throwing problems?

IMO, if the neck is stable, I think i would leave it alone… if another forum member with more repair experience feels differently, I might defer to their judgement. :top: I did a similar repair but my neck was wobbly…search "SE neck repair" for the post of my project. As for how long until it becomes an issue? However long it's gonna take...:biggrin:

Thanks toothace. :top: Your post was inspiring :biggrin:.
As the neck is pretty stable at the moment - I am thinking of letting it be like that too ;) (unless, as you said, some else more experienced says differently)

quick update: so i am reimbursed almost all the money I put in to it AND i don't need to send it back!!

wondering what to do now! i realize its messed up pretty bad and a pro repair probably won't be worth it. but i still love the sustain and the sound it transfers through the neck and body :(

They're all telling you the truth, but maybe they are missing the point. I can tell you like the guitar. You want to keep it. If you can get some money back , so you aren't losing your shirt, go ahead and try to secure the neck. I'd do it now before it does loose stability. If you understand you are never going to get any money out of it, but you want to play the heck out of it, get it to a luthier and get some good epoxy in those breaks and get it clamped down tight. You might come out of it with a good player.

And if the guy didn't tell you about the cracks, get back all you can. He's ripping people off.

quick update: so i am reimbursed almost all the money I put in to it AND i don't need to send it back!!

wondering what to do now! i realize its messed up pretty bad and a pro repair probably won't be worth it. but i still love the sustain and the sound it transfers through the neck and body :(
Geez, you got an almost free guitar? I'd fix it.

I think you got that right AP515! :p
Per the other suggestions in here too (thanks John Beef), I am planning on getting it fixed. What I am wondering now is, do repairs of this sort work? Does the quality (tone, sustain and what not) drop down with the epoxy getting in?

Per the other suggestions in here too (thanks John Beef), I am planning on getting it fixed. What I am wondering now is, do repairs of this sort work? Does the quality (tone, sustain and what not) drop down with the epoxy getting in?

If the millions of LP headstock repairs are any indicator, the right fix works fine.

If the millions of LP headstock repairs are any indicator, the right fix works fine.
Aha! Just what I wanted to hear :p. Hope a crack of this sort at the neck-body joint doesn't hamper with the whole transfer-of-vibrations-mojo as against a headstock crack at the top! :biggrin:
Hope I don't sound paranoid about it :eek:

There's a guy in central PA that repairs them better than new.

If it were me, I'd use some industrial tightbond glue (like from a luthier supply place) and a syringe and then clamp each glue spot really tight for 24 hours. Gorrilla brand wood glue might be as good too.

A. Start shopping for another one.
B. Thank your stars that you got reimbursed.
C. Make it a project and learn.

It's possible it was damaged in shipping, so maybe the seller was legit. I say you are one lucky guy.

Just for the fun of it, why not get a quote on the repair from the PTC? It will most likely be more than you want to spend, but it will be done right.

Just for the fun of it, why not get a quote on the repair from the PTC? It will most likely be more than you want to spend, but it will be done right.
Or most likely more than the entire guitar is worth (book value).

Back