PRS SE Custom Tremonti 2016 tuning

Jim Johnson

Hi

I got my first guitar a month ago which is an awesome PRS SE Custom Tremonti 2016 model.

I love it but i have trouble with the tuning.

I can tune open strings fine but as i go up the fretboard its out of tune.

I checked the neck and that seems straight enough.

However, I think the problem is to do with the bridge.

Firstly, how many springs should be attached in the back? It came with 2 springs attached and a few spare. Should all 4 be in place?

The Tremolo bridge seems to be resting at an angle i.e. higher towards the back of the guitar. Should it be level? I don't want to mess with the main screws to adjust that in case i bust it! I tried the intonation screws but seems that doesn't really go far enough to rectify it.

Any help please?

Cheers
Jim

Hello and welcome. Firstly, congratulations for getting your first guitar. You have chosen well even if right now it might feel like you have not.

Secondly, as you are a beginner and have little experience with guitars like this I suggest you have this guitar set up correctly by a professional guitar technician.

Fretted notes are rarely if ever at point correct pitch along the whole length of the board.

Tremolo springs are a personal preference. Two springs = low tension. More than two = high tension, etc.

From the factory the tremolo will be set level with the body.

I am being careful not to say more and confuse you, or temp you into fiddling around yourself.

Do not adjust anything on the tremolo.

Again, have the guitar looked at by someone qualified who will take the time to explain which work needs doing and why. It sounds to me like it just needs setting up correctly. That's all. Not a big job.

I take it this guitar was bought used?

Why did you choose the Tremonti?

Which other guitar models did you consider?

Hi and thanks for the reply!

Yeah i think i will do that and get it set up by a professional.

I bought it new so expected it to be setup correctly but the bridge is clearly leaning forward a lot which I expect is where the issue is.

I chose the Tremonti because it was recommended as a great guitar and also because I'm an Alter Bridge / Mark Tremonti fan.
The guitar sounds great and looks awesome :)

I did consider some second hand guitars but I'm glad I went for this lovely guitar.

So it is new and they gave it to you like this. You can give them a big punch on the nose from me. Go back to the shop with your guitar and tell them to either set it up correctly or give you a new replacement Tremonti that is set up correctly.

You are a PRS player now and we like our gear to be right.

Thank you for explaining why you chose this model. I am always interested to learn why new players choose a certain model for their first guitar.

There is a young man who comes to me for lessons with his Squire Strat (that I chose for him - very small budget). He is doing great I am pleased to say. One occasion I gave him some other guitars of mine to try. Gibson, Fender and PRS, etc and asked him to state which one he likes the best. He has no preconceived notions about any guitars or brands and more importantly no prejudices. He preferred my sorry looking beat up SE Custom 22 because it was for him the most comfortable to play and balanced well.

Keep us up to date.

Back