PRS SE Custom 24 setup

Rich45

I bought a 2017 PRS SE Custom 24 from Sweetwater in May, and I LOVE IT. Recently, I installed Grover locking tuners recommended by PRS, and I added a Mag-Lok to the tremolo, to stabilize it. It was a really great addition because it maintains tuning when doing multi-string bends, and aggressive use of the tremolo. I set the action to PRS American specs and the it is very light (just touch the strings), which works very well for me because I am not an aggressive picker, so I don't get any fret buzz. I figure that light picking is easily compensated for by using the volume control on the guitar and the volume pedal on the amp. My amp is a Johnson Millennium Stereo 150 with the optional J-12 foot controller. The amp was made in 1998, cosmetically it is 99% perfect and it is fully functional, which means it was only lightly used. I got it from the Beaverton, Oregon Guitar Center, which is only 60 miles from my home, and I paid only $500.00 plus $28.30 shipping. That was a really great deal because the other amps, of the same model, with the J-12 were about $900.00 and $1,200.00. The amp emulates all of the American and British vintage tube amps and has all the effects that anyone could want. The factory presets are fully editable, and can be stored as user presets. You can find lots of reviews for Johnson Millennium amps on the net. Although the amp and controller are very heavy (about 90 pounds total), there's no need to have multiple amps or a pedal board to get effects. That will make life much easier for performance and recording.

Very nice setup. Nice choices on the upgrades. I do the same essentially to my SE's -G

I have a neighbor, Jeff, who has been playing professionally for over twelve years, and he says my PRS is set up better than any guitar he has ever played. He also loves my Johnson Millennium amp, and wants to use them for recording. He has a Daisy Rock, Rock Candy guitar from 2008 that he bought used for his daughter, who celebrated her sixth birthday on July 14. I set it up to the have very light action, like my PRS, which will make it easier for her to play (she is bugging her dad about giving her lessons).

Back