PRS SE Custom 24 Remove Tremolo Bar?

Jen99514

I want to buy a PRS SE Custom 24 but I dont use a tremolo bar as Im still a beginner. Is it possible to remove it?

I want to buy a PRS SE Custom 24 but I dont use a tremolo bar as Im still a beginner. Is it possible to remove it?

The trem arm pops right out if you don't want to use it. And if you really don't like the trem bridge you can block it with a small piece of wood in the body cavity. But even as a beginner you may want to try it... they can be fun and sound cool!

I've been playing for just over 6 months now. I started out with a Custom 24. I moved on to a fixed bridge guitar shortly thereafter. Given my experiences, I would recommend that you start out with a stoptail/fixed bridge guitar. Not necessarily for playing purposes, but in simplifying the other facets of the guitar ownership experience, including string changes, maintenance, setup etc. Just my 0.02

It's not a big deal. Some people make an issue of setting up floating trem guitars. Honestly if you have the aptitude to learn to play one, you will also have the aptitude to learn to keep it set up properly. There are tons of videos on the web and for a small price you can get DVD's on general guitar set up and maintenance. Things you will need to learn anyway.

The he only issue I have is with alternate tunings. Say, if you dropped every string down a full step, your trem will float low unless it is adjusted. Some folks that keep their guitar tuned Eb, (example) keep it set up for that tuning. I have one trem guitar (Strat) and I keep it in standard tuning. I use hard tails to go back and forth.

Of course changing the tuning on a hard tail will slightly change the neck set but is is usually negligible. At any rate for a newbie, I would not worry about alternate tunings for a few years. I say get yourself whatever you want and concentrate on learning music.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I "blocked" my bridge on a Custom 24 SE as well, as I don't use the trem often (and I have another guitar with a trem), and like to be able to tune it up & down more easily. It still doesn't give the feel of the fat wrap-around tailpeace though, which I've grown to love from PRS.

Some people might even prefer this as it's now like a chambered guitar :p

You can just not put the whammy bar in the guitar if that's all you're asking.

Back