PRS SE Custom 24 mini-review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OneEng, May 15, 2017.

1. OneEng

OneEng New Member

Hi All,

First post, and my first PRS.

I normally play on a Fender Strat with Frailin pickups and have a Kemper guitar system.

I was looking for a decent guitar that had humbuckers and a little more depth and bite than one can achieve through single coils. In the sub $1500 catagory, PRS SE Custom 24 came up over and over again as the best value in the industry at this time.

Accessories

First, while the gig bag is of high quality for a gig bag, I will be getting a hard case for it. This for me is not optional as I like to keep my gear well protected when I gig.

The extra spring is a nice add (especially since I intend to put 10's on the guitar). Truss rod adjuster .... check.

Not sure why a guitar cable is included. Perhaps not everyone has a really good guitar plug already. I suppose this may be the case for some since the price of this guitar is quite low.

Fit and finish

Very nice. The new SE for 2017 is a very nice looking guitar (mine is whale blue). It is a bit darker than one might think from the picture on PRS, but is still quite beautiful.... especially for a $700.00 guitar.

Setup out of box

Intonation was pretty good (not perfect). The string height was a little high (I haven't done a proper setup yet), but was acceptable. The strings only buzz slightly if banged to heavily.... I believe that part of this is just how 9's are, and to some degree, this will happen on any guitar.

Tone

Ok, really, this is where the rubber hits the road. Again, mind you that I have yet to setup this guitar to my own taste, so the pickup heights, strings, and adjustments are all stock.

I certainly have more complex harmonic make-up than with the Strat! I spent a few hours working up a few Kemper rigs setup especially for the PRS. The pickups are both a little bright (b and high E), and unfortunately, a little flubby on the E string to my ears. For the most part, I am able to eq around this. Additionally, keep in mind that my ears may not be accustomed to a higher gain pickup having spent the last 30 years playing strats.

The high notes really sing high up on the neck. Some of the best sounding stuff I have ever heard up there. The sustain is a little weak IMO. It is better than any of my strats, but I was hoping for a bit more. Furthermore, I seem to get a microphonic feedback on many notes. Not sure what causes this, but again, I haven't done any setup on this guitar yet.

Loading up a good Dual Rectifier rig into the Kemper and eq'ing it to my PRS, I must say that this is the nicest sounding crunch I have ever had. Songs like Green Day "Basket Case" and Three Doors Down "Love me when I'm Gone" sound fantastic with this setup. I am beginning to get a good JPM and JTM rig going to see if I can get some AC DC out of this guitar.

The clean stuff is a mixed bag. The guitar is certainly not a Strat, but then again, the cleans it gets, the Strat can't do. I guess there really isn't any single guitar that can get every tone ;) Having said this, I was able to get some very compelling clean tones .... really classic humbucking cleans that shine beautifully.

I worked the blade switch and push/pull knob around. I found some cleans I liked on the middle position and neck position, but the only thing that sounded right for heavy rigs was the bridge. Could be just me though.

I haven't worked on getting a good coil split sound yet, but so far, I have not liked anything coil split. Perhaps with some work I can get some good sounds from that setup.

It is my intention to replace the nut (I already have a Tusq sitting here ready), add an extra spring, and put 10's on the guitar. After that I will do a proper setup and see how things sound again.

Playability

This is a very fast guitar. The neck is very playable all around the fretboard. The neck style is so good that after a few hours of playing, my Strat feels like a telephone pole in comparison ;) I really love the way this guitar plays.

Overall Impressions

I would have paid up to $1500 for my new guitar to get what I wanted. After reading around, it seems that there really isn't anything out there that can touch the SE for value, tone and play-ability. I still have some way to go with this guitar to get it into that comfort range for me, but it feels so good when played, and has such nice visuals, I think it is a winner. It is silly inexpensive and sounds very good as well. I am not a big dive bomber, but I heard such great things about the SE CU 24 that I had to get one.

I have around 20 hours of jamming on the guitar at this time. I'll give this little gem a little TLC, and I believe it is going to be my go-to guitar for good crunch for quite some time. I may even find that more and more of my songs get done with the PRS and the Strats are left sitting instead. Time will tell.

BMiller, Ovibos and garrett like this.
  2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Great write up. Congrats on your first, and welcome to the Forum.

OneEng likes this.
  3. Elliot

Elliot Still a New Member

Really good review from an outside source.

This was my favorite quote.

I laughed out loud. Not because its silly or anything, I just understand what you mean ;)

OneEng likes this.
  4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Welcome to the forum. Nice write up. Some of the things you spoke of might be better addressed with the S2 guitars and you had a price point capable of getting an S2. Maybe you should try one before you settle in on the SE. Just a thought.

5. owickerman

owickerman New Member

Ever tried a 513 or 509?
    It cannot get every tone, for sure, but it got a lot of tones ^^

6. OneEng

OneEng New Member

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

I now have quite a few more hours under my belt, and have had time to tweak my Kemper to be more in-line with the tone of the PRS SE CU24.

I am learning to love the complex harmonics of the PRS. I have a Mesa rig that sounds absolutely amazing, and a clean rig on a Peavey classic 50 that really spanks.

I am still predominantly working only with the humbucker sounds without doing any work really on the split coil sound. The rich sound is very cool. This is exactly what I was looking for with the PRS.

I have never tried the 513 or the 509. I'll have to put those on my list.

As for the S2, my concern was that nearly everyone that had both, thought there really wasn't much difference between the SE and S2 in sound quality. In fact, I believe they share the same PUPs this year.

The flabby bottom of the E string I am thinking can be fixed by a combination of thicker strings (10's vs 9's) and potentially adjusting the pickup height. I want to hold off on my alterations of the guitar while I get used to it stock. I will absolutely be getting it professionally setup and getting the nut replaced. I am still thinking about the change from 9's to 10's (and adding the additional spring that came with it).

Any thoughts on the mods?

I will post some sounds in a few weeks after I have had a chance to get things tweaked in well. I spent several months getting my strats up to my current level. I have custom PUP's in both and have them professionally setup .... and have had tons of gig time to get perfect tone from them for the songs we do.

Of course, the purpose of the PRS was that no matter what I do to my strat, it will never bark like a PRS! I really am loving my new guitar. So far, I am very pleased with my purchase. Simply a crazy good deal.

7. bodia

I think you're on the right track with adjusting the pickup height, and pole pieces. PRS pickups are surprisingly sensitive to minor adjustments. In other words, a small adjustment yields a bigger change than you would expect.

8. owickerman

owickerman New Member

One last thing :
    We need photos of the guitar as soon as possible ;)

9. OneEng

OneEng New Member

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...42998252125.2167401.1206298824&type=3&theater

I have to say, the guitar looks very impressive in good light. Unreal value. My hat is off to the fine engineers at PRS. At this point in time, I can't imagine recommending any other guitar than the PRS SE line for the sub $1K segment.

Mind you, if you want a great single coil guitar, a Strat would still be my choice, but for everything else, the PRS is simply unbeatable.

bodia likes this.
  10. bodia

Sweet!

11. godoy.rafa

godoy.rafa New Member

Same here, I love the guitar, but this drives me crazy!