prs se custom 24 locking tuners

eveyprs

Hi everyone well I just got a new prs se custom 24 and was wondering what were the locking tuners that were a direct drop with no drilling? by the way this guitar is beautiful.
cheers
Dave

Schaller and Grovers are suppose to be a direct fit.
I went with Planet Waves Autotrim tuners which required drilling new screw holes, but I like how the tuners cut off the string for you on the first turn.

Hi All,

I'm looking at the Schaller M6 Locking Tuners (aesthetically I think they're the best match) - what's the difference between the Standard and Mini versions though? What is everyone getting and why?

If they fit SE - does that include my SE Singlecut and my SE Angelus?

If your tuners have the angled tab, then the Grovers with an angled tab will DR. So will the Schallers- their M6. I have a personal aversion to the look of the minis, though I believe ( not certain) they have the same footprint. The PRS screw holes are a bit smaller than the screws on Schallers and Grovers, so you may want to open them up- best to have a full drill index so that you can choose very small increments because it does not take much.

Last edited:
I always get Hipshot open back locking tuners, with the U.M.P. mounting system. They hold tune beautifully, and are the only US made tuners amongst those discussed here. You will usually need to retighten the front nut after about 3 weeks, and then you`re home free. Love em.

I got to thinking (although I don't really need locking tuners) that I might consider dropping in a set IF I could find them in black. I mean, after changing pickup rings, toggle switch cap, and adding a trem arm end, why not? Until I found these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Schaller-I--K...=1431990873&sr=8-23&keywords=schaller+locking

Now, I don't think so any more. I think $706.10, not counting shipping, is a bit out of reach, even if it is for my 30th Anniversary SE CU24. WHO in their right mind....????

Grover 406c are a direct fit.

But I'm on my second set and the first string keep breaking at the post right after changing it if I don't turn it a couple times around the post.

Anybody else experience this?

But I'm on my second set and the first string keep breaking at the post right after changing it if I don't turn it a couple times around the post.

Just put them on the guitar. Broke my first high E string ever. So, yeah.

I even tried a second set sended by the ebay seller. Nope...inmediate string break at the post ( 5 times!!!!!) weird

Haven't had that experience, my 406c's have been solid and reliable. Course I'm playing .10s, and maybe .09s break?

I've just dropped a set of Grover 406c in my SE CU24 30th and by stange coincidence I snapped 2 high E strings just putting them on. On the 3rd attempt I gave it a bit more length in order to get a couple of windings round the peg and so far so good.

Its the first time I've had a string break in more than a decade!!!

The good news is, the guitar stays in tune so much better now althought that could also be attributed to the Tusq nut I also installed at the same time.

I've just dropped a set of Grover 406c in my SE CU24 30th and by stange coincidence I snapped 2 high E strings just putting them on. On the 3rd attempt I gave it a bit more length in order to get a couple of windings round the peg and so far so good.

Its the first time I've had a string break in more than a decade!!!

The good news is, the guitar stays in tune so much better now althought that could also be attributed to the Tusq nut I also installed at the same time.

On the very thin strings I always give them a turn and a half or two turns around the peg to spread out the gripping force.

Some people just stick the string straight up in the hole and tune. I think this makes the side of the peg hole almost like a cutting blade and when the force is wound up it can break right there at the knive edge of the hole. I would rather have the string come down from the arc of the wrap than come down straight across the cutting edge of the peg hole. Know what I mean?

Good luck. It looks like you figured it out and won't have that problem again.

You are supposed to give the strings a wrap or a wrap and a half around the posts so the force is spread over the arc of the post as the string is tightened to tune; instead of tightening the string to tune straight up against the abrupt edge of the peg hole. Think about it - string directly out of the hole, no wraps, very thin string tightening up against that less than 90 degree angle edge of the post hole. That's like tightening the string down on a cutting edge. I'd rather wrap it once or twice around the post to distribute the force up against the nice gradually rounded side of the post itself rather than the rim of the hole.

Good luck. I definitely prefer locking tuners. High quality ones like the Grover 406c or Grover Roto-Grip Locking Rotomatics. These are very good tuners. You just have to get used to using them.

Now those Gibson gforce mini-tuneing garbage auto tuners are some complete junk.

Quick question, are the buttons on the original PRS tuners compatible with the Grover 406c ones? I think the Grovers are gong to be a great upgrade, however I prefer the look of the bigger buttons.

Back