PRS SE Custom 24 difference

RicardoCarimas

Hello!
I have been thinking about buying a prs se custom 24 for a long time. I have a SE EG with moon inlay. It appeared that the SE Custom 24 can also be found with moon or bird inlays. I apologize in advance if someone has already asked this question, but is there a major difference between the two editions?

Hello!
I have been thinking about buying a prs se custom 24 for a long time. I have a SE EG with moon inlay. It appeared that the SE Custom 24 can also be found with moon or bird inlays. I apologize in advance if someone has already asked this question, but is there a major difference between the two editions?
In the meantime, I found out that it is related to the year of manufacture. The one I'm currently looking at is a 2009 model, I assume that's why it got the moon inlay. The question remains, is there a difference in quality? Was there a quality improvement that caused these SEs to get the bird inlay?

In the meantime, I found out that it is related to the year of manufacture. The one I'm currently looking at is a 2009 model, I assume that's why it got the moon inlay. The question remains, is there a difference in quality? Was there a quality improvement that caused these SEs to get the bird inlay?

Over time, the SE's have 'improved' - especially in the last few years since they opened up their own 'factory' inside of Cort Indonesia. That has enabled them to take 'more' control over their SE guitars, training staff and improving their QC etc.

Over the years, you have seen 'iconic' PRS traits make their way to the SE model - things like Birds, the PRS signature on the headstock, more of a carved top instead of flat etc and of course, they have made their own 'SE' versions of their US made Pickups - like the 85/15's for example to get 'closer' to the 'Core'.

That being said, the older SE's are still 'solid' guitars and could find a 'great' older Cu24 that you 'prefer' to the newer ones. Quality is somewhat 'subjective' as QC is more about making guitars more 'consistent' - not having to 'scrap' or 'repair' as many when they receive them from overseas before dispatching to retailers for example so the 'gap' between the 'best' examples and worst is not that 'big' - more than making the Best 'super high quality' instrument on a budget. You can't expect $400+ Pups, $200 machined Trem, $150 Tuning pegs, the best quality Electronics etc for the price they are selling SE's for - so 'Quality' is 'relative'. That being said, for under $1k as most SE's are, they are superb value and one of the 'best' instruments you can buy at that price point...

Over time, the SE's have 'improved' - especially in the last few years since they opened up their own 'factory' inside of Cort Indonesia. That has enabled them to take 'more' control over their SE guitars, training staff and improving their QC etc.

Over the years, you have seen 'iconic' PRS traits make their way to the SE model - things like Birds, the PRS signature on the headstock, more of a carved top instead of flat etc and of course, they have made their own 'SE' versions of their US made Pickups - like the 85/15's for example to get 'closer' to the 'Core'.

That being said, the older SE's are still 'solid' guitars and could find a 'great' older Cu24 that you 'prefer' to the newer ones. Quality is somewhat 'subjective' as QC is more about making guitars more 'consistent' - not having to 'scrap' or 'repair' as many when they receive them from overseas before dispatching to retailers for example so the 'gap' between the 'best' examples and worst is not that 'big' - more than making the Best 'super high quality' instrument on a budget. You can't expect $400+ Pups, $200 machined Trem, $150 Tuning pegs, the best quality Electronics etc for the price they are selling SE's for - so 'Quality' is 'relative'. That being said, for under $1k as most SE's are, they are superb value and one of the 'best' instruments you can buy at that price point...
Thank you very much for your answer! I know that quality is relative, I understand every word and I agree, of course I don't expect US quality from the price of the SE. However, what I would really like to know is whether, for example, the new editions are better than the old ones in terms of hardware. Bridge, tuning keys, tremolo, pickups neck...etc.

(Sorry if there is something stupid in the wording, my English is not the best, so I partly rely on google translator.)

Thank you very much for your answer! I know that quality is relative, I understand every word and I agree, of course I don't expect US quality from the price of the SE. However, what I would really like to know is whether, for example, the new editions are better than the old ones in terms of hardware. Bridge, tuning keys, tremolo, pickups neck...etc.

(Sorry if there is something stupid in the wording, my English is not the best, so I partly rely on google translator.)

PRS doesn't change things unless they feel its 'better' and the 'older' ones are certainly no 'better' than modern ones.

I'd say the Pick-ups are better in recent years to my ears - but then you may prefer whatever the older models had, may prefer flatter tops or the different Headstock print/inlay. Buying new, they are not that much more often than used will get you a fantastic guitar that's as good, if not better than anything before. The difference between the tops has changed and I prefer the more carved top look and feel too so I'd say that's better, you may say its just 'cosmetic' and not worth buying 'new' for. Used, you don't know how 'abused' and/or cleaned/patched up to sell it is but 'new' at least you have a warranty and as its brand new, know exactly what to expect...

End of the day, its 'you' that has to pay the money and be happy with your decision. You could find an absolute cracker of a used guitar at a good price that suits you and makes you happier than any 'new' SE does orr buy new and that becomes your favourite instrument and you have no regrets you paid a bit more...

The cost cutting in the Korean made SE's seems to be in the pickup department.

Otherwise they were very well made.

Replace the pickups and you have a professional guitar.

I'd gig with my SE Singlecuts. I have four of them. But they all have Duncan or Gibson pickups.

The original Korean made pickups went with the Lone Ranger:

"to the dump, to the dump, to the dump, dump, dump, dump!"

The cost cutting in the Korean made SE's seems to be in the pickup department.

Otherwise they were very well made.

Replace the pickups and you have a professional guitar.

I'd gig with my SE Singlecuts. I have four of them. But they all have Duncan or Gibson pickups.

The original Korean made pickups went with the Lone Ranger:

"to the dump, to the dump, to the dump, dump, dump, dump!"

Can't say the same about the Indonesian range. They may not be quite as good as the US equivalents, but considering the cost of US pick-ups is half the price of a Whole SE guitar, they sound remarkably similar.

Not saying that is any indication on 'quality' as Pickups are somewhat a personal preference thing. However, in terms of how close the SE's are to their US equivalents, the 'newer' ones are much closer now than they have ever been. That's not just 'cosmetically' closer with more of a carved top and the PRS signature on the headstock, but in terms of 'feel' and 'sound' too and the overall 'quality' doesn't seem any 'different' to the best Korean made options.

All I was alluding to is that the Pick-ups have improved as these guitars are getting closer and closer to the 'Core' equivalent. Even the older Korean made guitars are 'professional' grade - suitable for gigging, touring, recording etc with 'Stock' pups - but that doesn't mean you can't find 'alternative' pick-ups that may suit your music or preference more. They don't sound like Cheap generic pups either but much closer to their US equivalent. You don't need to rush out to replace them just because they don't have a 'big' brand (SD, DiMarzio etc) name attached...

Can't say the same about the Indonesian range. They may not be quite as good as the US equivalents, but considering the cost of US pick-ups is half the price of a Whole SE guitar, they sound remarkably similar.

Not saying that is any indication on 'quality' as Pickups are somewhat a personal preference thing. However, in terms of how close the SE's are to their US equivalents, the 'newer' ones are much closer now than they have ever been. That's not just 'cosmetically' closer with more of a carved top and the PRS signature on the headstock, but in terms of 'feel' and 'sound' too and the overall 'quality' doesn't seem any 'different' to the best Korean made options.

All I was alluding to is that the Pick-ups have improved as these guitars are getting closer and closer to the 'Core' equivalent. Even the older Korean made guitars are 'professional' grade - suitable for gigging, touring, recording etc with 'Stock' pups - but that doesn't mean you can't find 'alternative' pick-ups that may suit your music or preference more. They don't sound like Cheap generic pups either but much closer to their US equivalent. You don't need to rush out to replace them just because they don't have a 'big' brand (SD, DiMarzio etc) name attached...
My only experience with the new Indonesian made SE's is with my two SE Silver Skys.

They're two of the best guitars I own. First rate.

Really good stock pickups. When I compared them to the USA made Silver Skys in the store, the Indonesian pickups in the SE sounded totally professional and very similar.

My only experience with the new Indonesian made SE's is with my two SE Silver Skys.

They're two of the best guitars I own. First rate.

Really good stock pickups. When I compared them to the USA made Silver Skys in the store, the Indonesian pickups in the SE sounded totally professional and very similar.

That's my point - since they have introduced 85/15 'S', 58/15 'S', JM635 'S', DGT 'S' or TCI 'S' pickups, I really do think these are the 'best' SE pickups and extremely good for the price. You could spend almost as much as the entire Stock guitar on pickups alone and they may not be as 'good' for you, your preference etc and sound close to guitars costing 4x (or more).

Certainly don't need to replace just because they are not made in the US or have big branding. A pickup doesn't care where its wound but these aren't 'generic' Pups shipped in a 'range' of brands guitars, these are 'custom' designed by PRS to get as close as they can to their 'own' US made pups at an affordable price - they (and most hardware) are 'good enough' for S2's and I doubt PRS would use them in S2's if they weren't 'happy' with the 'quality'...

As I said, I 'think' newer SE's are 'better' overall than 'older' SE's but at the end of the day, it still comes down to personal preference and 'costs'. I can't say the improvements are definitely worth it to someone else as its their money and their preferences. If you 'prefer' the 85/15 'S' for example, it may well be worth buying new than buy an older one and then swap pups. All I was trying to do is reassure someone that SE Quality hasn't 'diminished' now they being made in Indonesia, its not like some 'brands' where it maybe better to avoid certain 'eras' etc. If anything, SE's have improved on Quality - not to say the Korean ones weren't great...

If anything, SE's have improved on Quality - not to say the Korean ones weren't great...
They WERE great. They just had mediocre pickups.

SE's of today, seems like you dont have to change the pickups to get a great tone.

You might choose to, but you don't have to.

Back