PRS SE ANGLEUS A30E

Sean Allen

Anyone know what happened to this model. GC and sweetwater both had this online about 2 weeks ago with a release date of late in September. Now these items are showing no longer in stock. Does anyone know what happened with this. I was waiting for the A30E with the rosewood back and sides vs the mahogany of the A10e. Any info is much appreciated.

Just got an email from PRS customer service. Looks like these are going to be available in October. Looks like I know what my next guitar purchase will be.

OK, so somehow I hadn't heard about this new (?) model until I saw this post.

How is the SE Angelus A30E different from the now-discontinued SE Angelus Custom? The SE Ang Custom had a "solid Rosewood back", IIRC, whereas this new A30E does not mention "solid", which usually means a laminate - not a bad thing, there are pros and cons to both.

I see that PRS has officially nuked the SE Angelus Standard too. Weird, but maybe, like the A30E, there will be a replacement soon enough that isn't quite the exact same spec...

OK, so somehow I hadn't heard about this new (?) model until I saw this post.

How is the SE Angelus A30E different from the now-discontinued SE Angelus Custom? The SE Ang Custom had a "solid Rosewood back", IIRC, whereas this new A30E does not mention "solid", which usually means a laminate - not a bad thing, there are pros and cons to both.

I see that PRS has officially nuked the SE Angelus Standard too. Weird, but maybe, like the A30E, there will be a replacement soon enough that isn't quite the exact same spec...

I think there will be an A20E which basically matches the specs of the Standard. I think the new models are less blingy with different electronics. The controls are accessible through the soundhole like the A10E.

I think there will be an A20E which basically matches the specs of the Standard. I think the new models are less blingy with different electronics. The controls are accessible through the soundhole like the A10E.

Ah, yes, did not spot that right away. So similar setup to the Lifeson SE. Hmm, not sure I'm totally enamoured with that. Glad I got my SE Angelus Custom when I did.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/SE-Angelus-A30E-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail

Found this webpage still up on the product that gives its specs. A little disappointed it doesn't have a solid rosewood back. Also wish it had the piezo electronics.

Yeah, the solid rosewood is a bit of a bummer, but I think the laminate ends up being stronger and less prone to "dimples" (a few SE Angelus Custom owners have reported them - they are minor but any imperfection on a PRS get s noticed...).

I don't typically use the more advanced features of the electronics on my SE Ang Custom, but I'm glad they are there in case I do need them. I do use the volume a fair bit, and compared to another guitar I have with soundhole controls, I prefer the controls mounted on the outside shoulder.

So I may end up treating this model like a guitar with no controls, just raw output, and use pedals and the sound guy to reign me in or boost as required.

Last edited:
Back