PRS SE 24-08 Mini Switch/SVN questions

Woozeh

Hey there,

I'm looking to upgrade my gear and take one step towards owning a "proper" guitar. I'm torn between a few choices but, as the list narrows, the PRS SE Custom 24 seems likely to be the one I'll go with (although the Mark Holcomb SVN also looks rather enticing).

While checking opinions and demos of different models, I noticed that the SE 24-08 brings some added versatility to the table (mainly looking for an axe that can do both cleans and distorted stuff, as I tend to move between softer and heavier music while practicing) with the two mini-switches and was wondering if any owners could share their experience with the two models and/or answer my questions:

1. How fragile are the mini-switches by themselves and compared to the regular SE Custom 24's push/pull pot? How long do they last when used regularly/semi-regularly?
2. Are there any shops that sell replacements, preferably from Europe or with cheap shipping costs? If so, could you please point out a few (name and model are enough if links aren't permitted) Would I need to seek a tech that's familiar with the 24-08 itself to get them replaced in case they die on me?
3. Does potentially repairing the switches/anything related to the electronics affect the pickups (which, by my potentially flawed understanding, are 85/15 S that underwent a process that goes way over my head to "properly" fit each individual guitar?)
4. Would you say that the 24-08 is more pretentious because of its added electronics?
5. How different is the SVN in terms of neck thickness/weight from the regular Custom 24? I've relatively small hands and getting to try the model has proven tricky where I live at the moment.
6. I've heard different opinions on whether or not PRS guitars require setting up before playing (not proficient at setting them up myself, so I'd have to also talk to a tech, if that's the case). Some people say they're ready out of the bag, others that they still require some fiddling with. Obviously, individual preferences will inevitably have a say in this, but how was it for you?

Thanks in advance :)

No experience w/the SE 24-08, but I would not sweat the strength of the mini-toggles. I have other guitars that have them, and they’re more solid than they may appear. And nothing pretentious about it - it’s versatility. It’s also, in my mind, more utilitarian than a push-pull. Nothing wrong with those, but a toggle switch is probably quicker.

I do have a Holcomb SVN. I also have small hands (one of my best friends called them “Billy Barty hands”) - no issues with the neck. And I wouldn’t discount this on the basis of versatility - it’s not just a metal guitar, despite the name and the seven strings. The Alpha/Omega pickups are very versatile and clean up nicely, and the split sound in the middle position is gorgeous. I have those in three guitars now - both Holcomb SEs (six and seven) and I put a set in my old SE CU24-7 . And there’s always the Holcomb SE six-string if you’re concerned about the width of the fretboard on the SVN.

The correct forum response, of course, is get both.

And a ‘proper’ guitar is any guitar that makes you happy.

No experience w/the SE 24-08, but I would not sweat the strength of the mini-toggles. I have other guitars that have them, and they’re more solid than they may appear. And nothing pretentious about it - it’s versatility. It’s also, in my mind, more utilitarian than a push-pull. Nothing wrong with those, but a toggle switch is probably quicker.

I do have a Holcomb SVN. I also have small hands (one of my best friends called them “Billy Barty hands”) - no issues with the neck. And I wouldn’t discount this on the basis of versatility - it’s not just a metal guitar, despite the name and the seven strings. The Alpha/Omega pickups are very versatile and clean up nicely, and the split sound in the middle position is gorgeous. I have those in three guitars now - both Holcomb SEs (six and seven) and I put a set in my old SE CU24-7 . And there’s always the Holcomb SE six-string if you’re concerned about the width of the fretboard on the SVN.

The correct forum response, of course, is get both.

And a ‘proper’ guitar is any guitar that makes you happy.

Thanks for the input! I've yet to use mini-toggles myself, but hearing that they're generally more solid than they seem is reassuring. I very much like the sound of the Holcomb SVN, it's really only a matter of budget at the moment, since I'll likely have to upgrade my amp (considering a Bassbreaker 30) as well when I decide on a new guitar. Nevertheless, I really need to try out a SVN, especially since it seemingly works for at least a few people with small hands. I'm not one to prioritize looks (the new 24-08's don't particularly move me visually), but there's something about the walnut version's simplicity that's really appealing.

Everything breaks mate but I wouldn't be concerned. Not sure about SE but Core uses 3PDT on/on type mini toggles. While they are less common than usual DPDT they still available from known electronic supplies such as Mouser (worldwide) or RS if you're in the UK

Just to put your mind on rest I desoldered 85/15 off them, put a set of BKP's, said nah and put 85/15 back in. Mini toggles survived my rather crappy soldering skills just fine

That's good to know! I'm actually fairly close to getting the SE 24-08, but I want to make one more push to get my hands on a SVN, just to write that off my list.

Would the SVN require setup to be brought up to BEADGBE tuning? I understand it comes in a lower one.

It's unrelated to my initial questions but does PRS do finish refreshes mid-year? Or, to be more precise, is there a way to get an SE 24-08 now in any other finish than the Eriza Verde/Vintage Sunburst?

I'm not the type of person to value color more than the sound an instrument makes but, while the Vintage Sunburst has some old-timey appeal, it's not quite the Faded Whale Blue (or any of the three Burst variants on the 2021 SE Custom 24s).

Last edited:
Hey there,

I'm looking to upgrade my gear and take one step towards owning a "proper" guitar. I'm torn between a few choices but, as the list narrows, the PRS SE Custom 24 seems likely to be the one I'll go with (although the Mark Holcomb SVN also looks rather enticing).

While checking opinions and demos of different models, I noticed that the SE 24-08 brings some added versatility to the table (mainly looking for an axe that can do both cleans and distorted stuff, as I tend to move between softer and heavier music while practicing) with the two mini-switches and was wondering if any owners could share their experience with the two models and/or answer my questions:

1. How fragile are the mini-switches by themselves and compared to the regular SE Custom 24's push/pull pot? How long do they last when used regularly/semi-regularly?
2. Are there any shops that sell replacements, preferably from Europe or with cheap shipping costs? If so, could you please point out a few (name and model are enough if links aren't permitted) Would I need to seek a tech that's familiar with the 24-08 itself to get them replaced in case they die on me?
3. Does potentially repairing the switches/anything related to the electronics affect the pickups (which, by my potentially flawed understanding, are 85/15 S that underwent a process that goes way over my head to "properly" fit each individual guitar?)
4. Would you say that the 24-08 is more pretentious because of its added electronics?
5. How different is the SVN in terms of neck thickness/weight from the regular Custom 24? I've relatively small hands and getting to try the model has proven tricky where I live at the moment.
6. I've heard different opinions on whether or not PRS guitars require setting up before playing (not proficient at setting them up myself, so I'd have to also talk to a tech, if that's the case). Some people say they're ready out of the bag, others that they still require some fiddling with. Obviously, individual preferences will inevitably have a say in this, but how was it for you?

Thanks in advance :)
Ill add my dos pesos...btw, own both a PG SE and a 35th SE, both have basically the same wiring scheme as the 24-08.

1. The switches seem pretty stout. Little dip switches like that dont really degrade that much.

2. Switches like that can be found almost anywhere. Its pretty much a six lug 2 way toggle. Electronic supply stores should carry it, or Allparts. Any tech should be capable of replacing them, in fact them you can put them in yourself! Just basic soldering skill and a wiring diagram is all you need.
3. Nope.
4. Nope.
5. Couldn't say for sure but I think the SVN uses a wide thin carve, same as the 24-08.
6. Pretty much any guitar will need an initial setup. Imports tend to arrive here needing some truss rod tweaking at least. Even PRS domestic models will need it depending on if the player likes a certain feel, those they are almost always ready to go as is. They are built that well.

Would the SVN require setup to be brought up to BEADGBE tuning? I understand it comes in a lower one.

I’m not sure that’s correct. I have a Holcomb SVN and I don’t remember it coming tuned down. The regular Holcomb SE does come tuned to drop-C. My SVN is tuned to standard w/a low B and didn’t require any setup that I can recall.

Back