prs s2 22 vs custom 22

dtray187

Hey guys, played an s2 custom 22 at guitar center today and loved it... I didnt even noticed it had a coil tap until I got home and read about it.... ;-(
So my question is, should I buy the s2 22 or an old custom s22 , they pop up for about the same sometimes....
I like the pickups in the s2, are they the same in the custom 22?

also what is the difference between s2 custom 22 and s2 standard 22?

Last edited:
Custom 22 is currently using 57/08s - I want to say they were Dragons before, but I've never owned a CU22.

The S2 Standard is all mahogany, the S2 Custom has a maple top. The maple traditionally makes for a slightly brighter tone.

Although I've never played an S2, I do own a Custom 22. I can't imagine the S2 could come close to the Cu22. It is perfection. I also don't care for the slab body, even though it has the bevels. The carved top of the core models is just sexy.

The carved tops on core models are soooo sexy for sure.

Most cu22s had dragon 2s after dragon 1s were dropped and prior to 5708s. I have one and the dragon 2s are nice.

Last edited:
I'd go for a CE22 over both of those.

^^^^THIS...OR...the used Custom 22 would be my pick, also. For about the same dough, the used Cu 22 offers more, as far as the body carve (I guess that's a personal preference thing) , pickups, and most likely hardware. NOTHING against the S2 , as these are fantastic guitars in their own right. If buying used, just remember to make sure the electronics are fully functional, and the truss rod is , too. (I always recommend this, as I've seen a couple people that have purchased nice used guitars, with non functional truss rods,and that is a very expensive repair.) Check fret wear, also. And good luck! I'm sure you 'll absolutely love either one, whichever you choose!

Last edited:
^^^^THIS...OR...the used Custom 22 would be my pick, also. For about the same dough, the used Cu 22 offers more, as far as the body carve (I guess that's a personal preference thing) , pickups, and most likely hardware. NOTHING against the S2 , as these are fantastic guitars in their own right. If buying used, just remember to make sure the electronics are fully functional, and the truss rod is , too. (I always recommend this, as I've seen a couple people that have purchased nice used guitars, with non functional truss rods,and that is a very expensive repair.) Check fret wear, also. And good luck! I'm sure you 'll absolutely love either one, whichever you choose!

Great piece of advice Bill which makes wonder (sorry i'm not trying to hijack the thread)
What makes the truss rod to malfunction? I had my first CU22 for 5 years and only did a minor tweak for the neck
And redressing for the frets a few months before i sold it and never had a problem.

I believe the standard 22's had Dragon II pickups in them, which is what a lot of Custom 22's had as well during the same period. The newer Custom 22's will have HFS/VB or 57/08's, but anything 2000-2010 will probably be the DII's, if it's stock (probably some additional years on top of that but I don't know the exact timeline).

Thanks, 2 questions...

Do you think the s2 custom 22 with some dragon ii's dropped in it will get me to that tone in the video?

2. With ce22 bolt on neck, will it not sound as mellow? Too much quack?

I think the tone of the S2 with Dragon II's would be very close. An older Custom 22 and a new S2 are very similar in terms of woods, construction, and finish. Not identical, but about as close as you can get. Or you could go for a used Custom 22 and probably get it for the same price as an S2 and buying the DII pickups. They go for very reasonable prices on the Yard Sale section of the Vintage Rocker forum.

The CE I would anticipate to be brighter due to the maple neck.

I wouldn't have know that was an all mahogany guitar, if the title didn't say so. There is a lot of good balance in his tone. I think you could get pretty close to that clean sound with 57/08s, too.

While there is something to be said for a brand new guitar and all the peace of mind that goes with it, I would keep my eye out for a used Cu22 or Cu22 standard. I love the carved top so much more than the bevels (I DO really like the S2 range, too) and all US hardware. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the S2 range, though.

I'm also a sucker for PRSi with satin finishes. I almost bought a Standard 22 in satin years ago.

Back