PRS PS Fanned fret.... why?

Wow, first link is some lite reading... interesting, some of it I knew. But creating a guitar with each string it’s own scale length with individual bridge piece with its own base plate, pretty interesting. It says they’re basically addicting to play and sound great, I can’t imagine it being very comfortable I’ll have to try one.

Thanks for reply

I never thought I'd say this about a PRS, but this one almost made me throw up a little. This guitar is definitely a private stock (somebody obviously needed that guitar in that configuration and wood/color choice), but I guess, to each his/her own. I'm intrigued by fanned/multi-scale guitars (when played by guys like Tosin Abasi) but for some reason, this one doesn't seem right! :eek:

Hmmm. A new private stock ordered by a dealer it seems, or else someone ordered it and decided not to take delivery.

Not my cup of tea but it will undoubtedly float someone's boat.

Last edited:
I think that looks awesome.

A local builder here Ormsby has been making a name for themselves building fan fret guitars for a while.

The idea is purely ergonomics, it's supposed to suit the way your hand and arm work. I have read it takes a bit of getting used to for lead playing, but for chords it's a "natural" feeling allowing you to relax your hand a lot more. It also improves tension on the lower strings.

I don't see how it's any different to asymmetrical neck profiles. People don't like it because they're the typical guitarist who doesn't like new things

Novax did not invent the multi-scale instrument concept. Look up "Orpharion Lute" and see what you find:

PalmerOrpharion1.jpg

Novax did, however, convince the U.S. patent office to award him a patent for the idea. Some builders licensed the technology for some time until either the patent expired or people realized that you could either find information about the instrument above, or look at any grand piano to argue against it.

The fanned fret arrangement provides more ideal scale lengths per string, assuming that you're tuning your guitar in standard tuning. The timbre of each string improves inversely with fundamental pitch vs. scale length. Imagine if each string on the grand piano had the same scale length: the only solution to such overbearing tension as the notes rise in pitch is to use successively thinner strings, and doing so eventually would kill your string's tone. The multi-scale approach therefore provides less tension as fundamental pitch rises so you can use thicker strings, and have "easier playability". I find fanned fret guitars to be playable if the fan is not too extreme. They can actually be very comfortable to play, almost enjoyably so. I notice in certain neck positions that the tone of the note is better. Where I find it foreign is in bending strings in extreme positions. The direction is "wrong", just because I'm not accustomed to it. You should try one and see what you think.

This PS is beautifully appointed, and I thought they nailed the finish. I've never seen anything like it. Two-tone spalty matte split by metallic black??? It's F@C%ING GENIU$.

I always thought they were strange......until I played one. I was in my local GC grabbing some strings and saw a Strandberg on the used wall. Being the curious sort, I had to get my hands on it. The body and neck carve are funky but the fanned frets are something else entirely. It really is addicting to play.

you know what, it might look a bit odd to you guys because you are used to seeing that traditional shape with regular uniform scale.

I was watching this the other day, because I love Cynic, but when you see modern headless guitars especially, the fan frets don't look out of place at all. I'd love to try one

Although I suppose a lot of people find headless guitars hideous too

Reactions: jfb
Novax did not invent the multi-scale instrument concept. Look up "Orpharion Lute" and see what you find:

PalmerOrpharion1.jpg

Novax did, however, convince the U.S. patent office to award him a patent for the idea. Some builders licensed the technology for some time until either the patent expired or people realized that you could either find information about the instrument above, or look at any grand piano to argue against it.

The fanned fret arrangement provides more ideal scale lengths per string, assuming that you're tuning your guitar in standard tuning. The timbre of each string improves inversely with fundamental pitch vs. scale length. Imagine if each string on the grand piano had the same scale length: the only solution to such overbearing tension as the notes rise in pitch is to use successively thinner strings, and doing so eventually would kill your string's tone. The multi-scale approach therefore provides less tension as fundamental pitch rises so you can use thicker strings, and have "easier playability". I find fanned fret guitars to be playable if the fan is not too extreme. They can actually be very comfortable to play, almost enjoyably so. I notice in certain neck positions that the tone of the note is better. Where I find it foreign is in bending strings in extreme positions. The direction is "wrong", just because I'm not accustomed to it. You should try one and see what you think.

This PS is beautifully appointed, and I thought they nailed the finish. I've never seen anything like it. Two-tone spalty matte split by metallic black??? It's F@C%ING GENIU$.

Great information, thanks for reply. I will make it a point to check out a fanned fret guitar. But, what I can't get my head around is why cant this be accomplished with individual saddles/base plates and keeping the frets straight but then again the high strings the scale looks much shorter than bass strings. The bridge and nut are at a hell of an angle. BTW that lute is cool.

you know what, it might look a bit odd to you guys because you are used to seeing that traditional shape with regular uniform scale.

I was watching this the other day, because I love Cynic, but when you see modern headless guitars especially, the fan frets don't look out of place at all. I'd love to try one

Although I suppose a lot of people find headless guitars hideous too

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Great guitarist!

Reactions: JJJ
Back