PRS Newbie

SFDonovan

New member. I'm an older player and been learning guitar for about 4 years now. Not a PRS owner, but want to be in the next few months. Going with the SE line. Just need to decide on what I want. My local GC only has two on the wall. A PRS 2017 SE Mark Holcomb and PRS 2017 SE Custom 24. Been playing these for a couple weeks now. Neck feels great. I think I have long fingers but small palms. I like the thin neck.
I already have a semi hollow Gretsch, so I'm going with a solid body. My cover band favors classic rock and blues. I don't use the trem much.

I'm leaning towards ordering a PRS SE Custom 24 in Spalted Maple, or PRS SE Mark Tremonti Custom. This is all subjective but give me your opinion and reason to go with something else instead. Do ya'll prefer the single cutaway like the Tremonti Custom or the dual? I'm basically a rhythm player. Budget is not an issue, but I'll stick with the SE line.

What does NGD mean? New Guitar "something"?

NGD = New Guitar Day

Welcome! I played a Holcomb a few weeks ago and really dug it. Can go wrong with a Custom 24 though

Hallo and welcome :)

Between Holcomb and the 24, the 24 edges it for me. Partly because I prefer the double cut and partly because I think it is tonally more versatile and may suit your playing style more. That said, the 22 would edge the 24 for me because I like the shorter scale and the tonality is still awesome!

I have them both. My Tremonti has a very powerful, cutting tone. The 24 (30th Anni) is capable of more sounds, so I'll suggest you get that instead. I can get some great rhythm sounds in the coil split mode.

New member. I'm an older player and been learning guitar for about 4 years now. Not a PRS owner, but want to be in the next few months. Going with the SE line. Just need to decide on what I want. My local GC only has two on the wall. A PRS 2017 SE Mark Holcomb and PRS 2017 SE Custom 24. Been playing these for a couple weeks now. Neck feels great. I think I have long fingers but small palms. I like the thin neck.
I already have a semi hollow Gretsch, so I'm going with a solid body. My cover band favors classic rock and blues. I don't use the trem much.

I'm leaning towards ordering a PRS SE Custom 24 in Spalted Maple, or PRS SE Mark Tremonti Custom. This is all subjective but give me your opinion and reason to go with something else instead. Do ya'll prefer the single cutaway like the Tremonti Custom or the dual? I'm basically a rhythm player. Budget is not an issue, but I'll stick with the SE line.

What does NGD mean? New Guitar "something"?

I would go with the custom, but I do have to say, it kind of sucks how most of the guitar stores around me only have 5-6 PRS's (SE and USA) so trying out many different types was really, annoyingly, hard.

Think I just sold my Fender Squire for $235. One step closer to pulling the trigger on a new axe. The Custom 24 is out of stock at Sweetwater. :(

Don't be afraid to order a PRS online. zzounds and american musical are great and you can pay as you play!

Don't be afraid to order a PRS online. zzounds and american musical are great and you can pay as you play!
I ordered a PRS Custom 24 from zzounds and am still waiting for my backorder to be filled....it keeps getting pushed back. It's supposed to be fulfilled 4/8/2018 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get pushed back again!

I ordered a PRS Custom 24 from zzounds and am still waiting for my backorder to be filled....it keeps getting pushed back. It's supposed to be fulfilled 4/8/2018 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get pushed back again!
Sight unseen? that's gutsy. I'm so particular about the grain I like...

The biggest tonal difference between the 24-freat and 22-fret guitars is placement of the neck pick. The "classic" neck pickup sound has the pickup positioned right under the 24th fret harmonic node. A 24 fret guitar must move his pickup toward the bridge slightly to accommodate the longer fret board. Listen to the neck pickup position in both guitars, and let your ears be the judge.

I concur with 67King, you can get a used S2 for a similar price, go to Davesguitars......OP and they have lots of great used SEs and S2s to shop for....

I ordered the Vela in December, was delivered March 5th, if that helps....DOM was 2/26/2018 so I got it fairly quickly from AMS...

The biggest tonal difference between the 24-freat and 22-fret guitars is placement of the neck pick. The "classic" neck pickup sound has the pickup positioned right under the 24th fret harmonic node. A 24 fret guitar must move his pickup toward the bridge slightly to accommodate the longer fret board. Listen to the neck pickup position in both guitars, and let your ears be the judge.

I agree. Few players use 24 frets and there should be a small tonal advantage to the Custom 22. As a rhythm player I cant imagine you ever need going up there.

this is not correct at all. cause the harmonics move the moment you start fretting your notes on your fretboard. it only applies with the open string/unfretted notes :)

Back