PRS newbie with some questions.

I've got a maple neck and ebony board on a Cu24. I love it. I dig the silky smooth feel of ebony. I'd say it's a little brighter than the traditional RW/Hog combo. It's a got a great "mean streak" though. Sounds great clean, too.
Oh btw, have you noticed any decrease in sustain vs the mahogany/rosewood combo?

I have not, at least nothing that makes me stop and say, "hmmmm, what's up with this?"
Alright, great. The guitar im looking at is maple/ebony. It's beautiful but has a higher price than a regular custom. So i wouldn't wanna spend that much more if the general consensus is that it's a worse guitar.

Alright, great. The guitar im looking at is maple/ebony. It's beautiful but has a higher price than a regular custom. So i wouldn't wanna spend that much more if the general consensus is that it's a worse guitar.
I don't think anyone is saying that. The woods that a guitar is made of don't make a guitar better or worse (unless it's just low quality). It's just different. Rosewood, maple, ebony, even the exotic wood library/private stock stuff; they all have their own personality that will come through in it's sound.

The price is higher because it's likely an Artist Package or special run or something like that. A normal Core Custom 24 is going to have a mahogany neck/rosewood board combo.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying that. The woods that a guitar is made of don't make a guitar better or worse (unless it's just low quality). It's just different. Rosewood, maple, ebony, even the exotic wood library/private stock stuff; they all have their own personality that will come through in it's sound.

The price is higher because it's likely an Artist Package or special run or something like that. A normal Core Custom 24 is going to have a mahogany neck/rosewood board combo.

Worse might've been a bad term. All i meant was if 90% of people prefers mahogany necks then it might be something to consider (especially if it saves you quite alot of money). Also, PRS said maple necks don't ring that long. Might've just been the blanks and when it's put in a finished guitar there isn't much difference but since sustain is something that is really important to me, it's also something to consider.

Worse might've been a bad term. All i meant was if 90% of people prefers mahogany necks then it might be something to consider (especially if it saves you quite alot of money). Also, PRS said maple necks don't ring that long. Might've just been the blanks and when it's put in a finished guitar there isn't much difference but since sustain is something that is really important to me, it's also something to consider.

I have yet to hear anyone make a solid correlation between tap-tones and sustain. I would also put forward that ebony also has a pretty unexciting tap-tone, but ebony on maple is a classic combo in its own right (70's LP customs anyone?) and lots of people seem to like it. Zach Wilde seems to get plenty of sustain. There are also plenty of youtube videos with this combo that might be worth listening too. it is a combo I would like to try myself one day. It is hard to go wrong with mahogany and rosewood for most though as the feel and tones are familiar.

... Also, PRS said maple necks don't ring that long...
The maple neck on my 88CE24 sustains longer than any other guitar I've played, including Les Pauls and Strats.

Back