PRS newbie with some questions.

Erik

Hey all i'm new here.

Been interested in PRS guitars for a couple of years and i'm now seriously considering going looking for one.

As i have a very long distance to my nearest guitar store (which does not even stock PRS) it's really hard for me to try them hands on. So here are some questions.

Is the trem as much of a hazzle as a floyd rose in terms of stringing and tuning?

I've never owned a guitar with a smaller radius than 12". How is it doing crazy bends like Guthrie (minor and major thirds)?

I own a Gibson with a 50s neck. Does anyone have some experience with that neck and the pattern/wide fat and like to compare them?

Does anyone have an opinion of the sound/stability of mahogany vs flame maple necks?

Are the flame maple necks quartersawn?

These are all the ones i can think of at the moment.

Would greatly appreciate replies. Thanks :)

Is the trem as much of a hazzle as a floyd rose in terms of stringing and tuning?

No - not even close. That said, I've had limited Floyd experience and haven't found them to be a nightmare, but the PRS trem, for stringing and tuning is way better. The locking tuners are much more convenient than the locking nut. No lockdown at the bridge. No need for fine tuners. Just stretch the strings well and you'll be fine.

I've never owned a guitar with a smaller radius than 12". How is it doing crazy bends like Guthrie (minor and major thirds)?

Don't often bend that far, but strength seems to be more of an issue for me than the radius.

I own a Gibson with a 50s neck. Does anyone have some experience with that neck and the pattern/wide fat and like to compare them?

Does anyone have an opinion of the sound/stability of mahogany vs flame maple necks?

Are the flame maple necks quartersawn?

Can't compare the necks for you. I'm pretty carve-agnostic, although I'd have to say the DGT is my favorite, with regular close behind. That said, I have wide fat, wide thin, etc. None of them are bothersome to me, but if you're sensitive to the carve, somebody will surely help you out with a comparison.

No experience with the maple necks, but I can tell you the mahogany are rock solid. I think only one of my PRS necks has ever needed an adjustment, and that was done in-store before I bought it. Haven't touched it since then. FWIW, that's been true across the range of guitars (SE, core, PS) and materials (mahogany, IRW, BRW, HRW) that I've had. Gauges from 9.5s to 11s, and a seven string. And a bass, now that I think about it.

Hope that helps!

The PRS trem is no where near as difficult as a Floyd. Very simple and very stable. A Gibson 50's will be "fatter" than a wide fat neck. I don't notice the 10" radius being all that different from a 12". I do feel a difference from a 7" but it doesn't bother me since I don't shred. Both the hog necks and maple necks are rock solid. I feel, as most do, that the hog's will have more mids, the maple more highs. The rosewood on both will sweeten them up.

Reactions: CVS
The PRS trem is no where near as difficult as a Floyd. Very simple and very stable. A Gibson 50's will be "fatter" than a wide fat neck. I don't notice the 10" radius being all that different from a 12". I do feel a difference from a 7" but it doesn't bother me since I don't shred. Both the hog necks and maple necks are rock solid. I feel, as most do, that the hog's will have more mids, the maple more highs. The rosewood on both will sweeten them up.

I would do a hearty +1 on this!

Reactions: CVS
Thanks for the info guys.

How do you feel about maple neck /ebony fretboard combo on a PRS?

I've got a maple neck and ebony board on a Cu24. I love it. I dig the silky smooth feel of ebony. I'd say it's a little brighter than the traditional RW/Hog combo. It's a got a great "mean streak" though. Sounds great clean, too.

I've got a maple neck and ebony board on a Cu24. I love it. I dig the silky smooth feel of ebony. I'd say it's a little brighter than the traditional RW/Hog combo. It's a got a great "mean streak" though. Sounds great clean, too.

Hmmm...I wonder how that would sound on a single cut. I've thought if I do another PS, it'll be a single cut, and while I like the looks of the flame maple necks stained, I'm not always a fan of the brightness. Maybe that combo would be a nice complement to the thump of a full-bodied SC.

Hmmm...I wonder how that would sound on a single cut. I've thought if I do another PS, it'll be a single cut, and while I like the looks of the flame maple necks stained, I'm not always a fan of the brightness. Maybe that combo would be a nice complement to the thump of a full-bodied SC.

I'd like to test your hypothesis too. If a SC594 shows up somewhere with an ebony board and maple neck, I'd bite.

Yeah, i much prefer the feel of ebony aswell. Sounds like the maple ebony combo should work fine. I'm definitely going for a custom 22 since i prefer the neck pickup to be moved further from the bridge.

PRS tremelo system works great and I have had no tuning issues. This applies to both the CU24 and NF3 guitars that I own.

Thanks for the info guys.

How do you feel about maple neck /ebony fretboard combo on a PRS?
I have an SE Akerfeldt. It has a maple neck with ebony board. Plays very nicely, and yeah, I suppose it is a little brighter than a hog neck / RW board. That older SE model may or may not compare well with what a new Core or PS might offer, of course.

I don't play that guitar enough - maybe I'll dig out it for band practice tonight!

I used to be a floyd guy to the core. Floyds take time to string up and I eventually got tired of it.

I can have my prs trem restrung and ready to go in 10 minutes.

Phase 2 and 3 tuners really help that. I struggle stringing winged tuners but that's me.

Sergio claims he can change a broken string on stage during a verse and be back playing by the chorus on winged tuners. I say....post that video kind sir!!!! Lol

I used to be a floyd guy to the core. Floyds take time to string up and I eventually got tired of it.

I can have my prs trem restrung and ready to go in 10 minutes.

Phase 2 and 3 tuners really help that. I struggle stringing winged tuners but that's me.

Sergio claims he can change a broken string on stage during a verse and be back playing by the chorus on winged tuners. I say....post that video kind sir!!!! Lol

The gauntlet has been dropped, like slap across the face! I just saw Hamilton a couple of weeks ago, I'd like to see this play out like a duel. Sergio with his wings at ten paces vs. Gush with his PII or PIII! I'll bring th swirly drinks! :D

Just one string? No problem.

i'd need some help, like somebody to run up in the middle of a song and clip the string so I can't prepare for it.

Just one string? No problem.

i'd need some help, like somebody to run up in the middle of a song and clip the string so I can't prepare for it.

Ready!!!

8376795759_36aabf9551_b.jpg

I've got maple with african blackwood on my CU24, and maple with ebony on a couple of non- PRS guitars. African blackwood seems to be a middle ground between ebony and rosewood.

Back