PRS JAM - March 2018

jjpish68

Hey All I participate in monthly backing track challenges on other guitar forums and it is a fun time. I look back on stuff I recorded two years ago in those monthly challenges and I was TERRIBLE but doing these and receiving constructive criticism from others participating moved me from Terrible to bad....lol

But seriously this is a good time no matter what your ability is. Beginners need to start somewhere and experts need to continue to practice to keep up their chops so it's good for all.

Basically the way it works is follow the link below to the backing track, click on the more under the track and click on download. Once you download it you can use whatever form you have to in order to record yourself along with the backing track then post up here for all participating to listen to.

You can do anything you want to backing track slow it down speed it up add rhythm guitars play a lead sing and play whatever you feel like. The only RULE is don't beat on anyone who posts up a track. Constructive criticism is ok help others out with ideas and thoughts but please don't beat on someone trying to better themselves.

It's really that easy, just have fun.

This is the first one so let's come out of the gate rockin with a Funky Cream Style Jam. As the months go by I will try to vary the genre from rock to country to fusion and move the key around and the scales used. I am not good and there will be some that post here that will just blow our socks off but that is why we are here we all can learn from each other especially seeing how everyone approaches the same backing track differently.

HAVE FUN!!!

https://soundcloud.com/user-425454638/march-prs-jam-heavy-cream-style-in-d

Last edited:
Nice! Someone started one of these on VR a few years ago, but it fell by the wayside. It was a good exercise - gets you playing to progressions you might not normally consider.

Oh and it's usually better to not listen to others posts until after you have done yours.

Downloaded - now I just have to learn to play guitar.

I bought that John Mellencamp instructional CD, but all it said was, "Play guitar". Didn't say how, though.

I bought that John Mellencamp instructional CD, but all it said was, "Play guitar". Didn't say how, though.

Did you remember to "forget all about that macho sh!t"? It's the key step in the system.

Cool idea man. I'll have to see if this can help get me over my aversion to learning how to use a DAW. The middle finger on my fretting hand is immobilized for a few weeks due to an injury, so that could make things interesting.

So I had a Protools crash and some mixing board issue BUT I did one of my infamous iPhone recording when I first got the track so this is what I am posting to start.
if you have sensitive ears do not click on the link there are plenty of CLAMS and just mindless noodling as I am getting a feel for the track.

https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/iphone-for-prs-forum

Last edited:

Once you forget about all that macho $hit you'll figure it out!

So here we go, I did 2 mixes as I always seem to find something new on Protools.
First mix the guitar is more in the background and is a lower res the second the guitar is more out front and the best output protools can do.
One extra rhythm track and a lead track and its whatever came out no edits ;)

The Gear
Protools 8 LE - Mic Shure sm57 - old M-Audio interface
Guitar PRS DGT
Amp Mesa MKV Channel 3 MKIV mode ( Delay and Reverb TC Electronics Nova system ) PRS 2x12 Deep Cab V30s
Morley Bad Horsie wha

https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/sets/prs-test-tracks

Last edited:
Back