PRS JAM - April 2018

jjpish68

How about a little Santana Style backing track for April's Jam?

The link is below, download it jam along, record by any means you need to like through digital recording software, your iPhone or even a video shot with your phone, then post it back up here. Doesn't matter how you do it just do it.

Have fun with it, that's why we are all here to have fun and learn.

https://soundcloud.com/user-609381027/santana-style-a-minor

This is gonna be a good one for me (not saying that means anyone will like what I come up with!!!) but, because it incorporates a couple of things I've been wanting to work on more. First, just goofing with it a little so far, it just has a feel that makes it easier for me not to land on a root note at the end of a phrase and hold it out, something I feel that I've been doing too much and want to change. Second, I think it's actually in A Dorian, rather than straight A minor... modes are something I've been too lazy to work and need to. So, if you find A minor feeling a little wonky for this tune, that may be why!

This is gonna be a good one for me (not saying that means anyone will like what I come up with!!!) but, because it incorporates a couple of things I've been wanting to work on more. First, just goofing with it a little so far, it just has a feel that makes it easier for me not to land on a root note at the end of a phrase and hold it out, something I feel that I've been doing too much and want to change. Second, I think it's actually in A Dorian, rather than straight A minor... modes are something I've been too lazy to work and need to. So, if you find A minor feeling a little wonky for this tune, that may be why!

Andy you are correct on the A Dorian. It was marked as A minor but as I started working through it I discovered it was labeled wrong on YouTube.

It is a fun one to be creative with.

They probably put A minor since that's the root chord. But since you have the repeating pattern of Amin > Dmaj, plus the change to B (maj, or I prefer 7 here) > Emaj, natural minor doesn't work. However, if you want to work on natural minor fingering and phrasing, you can treat this like E natural minor for solos.

If you want to have some more fun, make a loop of Amin > Dmin and the A natural minor stuff will really open up. Throw in that change to B, but keep it Bmin > Emin, for another thrill.

I love Santana. He's the one who opened me up to this stuff.

You don't leave the past months jam up on sound cloud?

I will in the future. I had set up a soundcloud just for the PRS Jams and I forgot the password .... so I had to set up a new account. I can load last months in the new account.

This months track is a tough one for me ;/ just saying, for the life of me the 3rd chord eludes me.

Last edited:
Don't sweat the change. You can just keep rolling right over it in A pentatonic or in A dorian.

I just recorded a quick example, hopefully it helps. I went one time through in pentatonic and one time through in dorian. I don't leave the 5th fret box at all here.

https://soundcloud.com/user-322524401/santana-style-pentatonic/s-IEeLE

I'll do a proper attempt later, once I make more time to record.

So I finally came up with something for the April Jam
I tried using a Santana and my Mesa but something just was just not right ( could be I havent played in awhile )
No overdubs so you get the clams and all.

https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/santana-prs-v1

So here is what I used.

Guitar PRS DGT
Amp Mesa MK V - PRS Deep Cab V30s
Rhythm - Channel I ( Clean Mode ) with Reverb from TC Electronics Nova System ( Both Pickups split )
Lead - Channel 3 MK IV mode with GEQ on and reverb ( Bridge Pickup )
Mic SM57
Pro tools LE

So I finally came up with something for the April Jam
I tried using a Santana and my Mesa but something just was just not right ( could be I havent played in awhile )
No overdubs so you get the clams and all.

https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/santana-prs-v1

So here is what I used.

Guitar PRS DGT
Amp Mesa MK V - PRS Deep Cab V30s
Rhythm - Channel I ( Clean Mode ) with Reverb from TC Electronics Nova System ( Both Pickups split )
Lead - Channel 3 MK IV mode with GEQ on and reverb ( Bridge Pickup )
Mic SM57
Pro tools LE

Damn, Mike, that sounds great!

Back