PRS Headstock Logo

Dingo

Hi all,
I'm doing a PRS mod, and was wondering if anyone can tell me the width & height of the PRS signature logo on the headstock?

Thanks,
Dingo

hF473E76E

Not sure why the OP didn't measure the logo on his PRS before starting the project.

Perhaps the OP could clarify if he is restoring a damaged PRS headstock or if he is adding a decal to a non-PRS guitar...

I'm about to have a similar issue. I'm repairing/rebuilding a (mostly former at this point) PRS guitar. When it's done, it'll be a fully functional guitar again...but it won't REALLY be a PRS anymore. I want to change the headstock decal to something that is kind of reminiscent of the real thing, so if you see it from ten rows away it looks legitimate enough...but if you're holding it or know much about PRS's it'll be obvious that it's not quite right anymore.

But that's an awfully narrow row to walk. I considered making a water slide decal of my signature. But I don't think it'll look cool enough to cover the first half of my criteria above. Then I considered doing one of the swooping bird logos and just facing it the wrong way. But that might be too subtle.

So what's a believable from ten foot away solution that is obviously not the real thing for me to try? Suggestions? Remember we want the logo to say basically "Yes. This used to be the real thing. No. It's not anymore. But isn't it still cool?"

Last edited:
Put a Fender, Gibson or Teisco logo on the headstock and really get people wondering.

I actually considered doing something sort of like that. Like maybe putting a waterslide of some random unrelated company on the headstock. "Check it out! It's a Hyundai Custom 22."

I did something similar on a FrankenTele project some years back. It had a Squier Tele body, a legitimate Fender Tele neck, and roughly a zillion aftermarket parts. When it was done it wasn't really a Fender anymore. So I went along with the then-new relic craze and scratched across the headstock so that it no longer said 'Fender'. It now said 'Fe er'. That became its name "Fe er the FrankenTele". The guy who eventually bought it still calls it that.

This project was an accidental purchase. I bought a case online and when it showed up it was kind of heavier than I expected. I opened it and found most of a guitar. I called the vendor and he was like "So THAT'S where it went." He didn't want it back. So I decided to see how much I could fix it back up.

The neck is broken loose from the body. The headstock is broken off at the nut. There is crush/impact damage to the front of the body and all the metal and electronic parts were corroded as all hell.

I understand why he didn't want it back.

But with all that, when it's playable again it will really pretty much be all me. At that point I think it'll only really be about 20% PRS.

Can I get 20% of a decal?

I didn't think so.

So what will look like a PRS ought to from like ten feet away, but obviously be something different up close? I need that on it. But not anytime soon. I hope to be done this calendar year.

Dodgy to say the least. I remember reading a similar story on the ebmm forum, a guy got a beaten jp6 and he stripped, sanded, refinished and fixed the hell out of it. During the process, the headstock logo came off as it was badly damaged. The guy asked the owner if he was allowed to reproduce the logo and sterling said no.
In these times it's fair to say "no" to every situation, even if some people will think that's a bit extreme to not allow it on an ORIGINAL prs, but the counterfeit stuff is really behind the next angle.

Have changeable logos for it and trot it out as different makes each time you go out.

Just throw a strip of Velcro on it and call it "the operator". Have different patches made to stick on depending on how you feel... the SpecOps groups will get a kick out of it, lol.

You could then laugh at the guys wearing their Operator hats, showing them up with your "Operator as f***" axe :)

operator-hat.gif

Back