PRS "H" Amp Combo Question - Stage Volume

mightypudge

Hey y'all!

I have an opportunity to pick up a nice PRS "H" combo today. So far I've only demo'ed the amp at "music store" volume and it sounded great. But I'm wondering how it will perform at gigs.

My band has two guitar players (myself and another fella) and also keys. That's a lot of stuff fighting for space in the midrange. I've had some 50-watt amps struggle to hold its own in that setting. (On the other hand, I've owned some 18-watt single channel amps with tons of headroom that cut right through.) We rarely have an opportunity to mic our amps at gigs, so I am relying on stage volume to get me by.

So any "H" combo users: How do your amps perform at gigs? Think the 1x12" combo has enough juice to compete?

Not an H player, but have an HXDA 50 Watt head, and would like to chime in anyway!

With a 50 watt amp, so much depends on the speaker used. As an example, I had a 3/4 back Mesa 1 x 12 with their Black Shadow speaker that was substantially louder in a room than the 2 x 12 Mesa Recto closed back I'm using now, at similar power levels. Same 8 ohm configuration. And a similar Bogner 2 x 12 closed back was louder than the Mesa as well.

A lot has to do with speaker efficiency, how a speaker mates with the power section of the amp, how the cabinet is designed, etc.

Just stuff to keep in mind. I haven't played through an H combo, so I have no idea. ;)

100_4770.jpg

I don't gig it....but I can't imagine it wouldn't have enough juice to cut through any mix so long as you are not playing it at Yankee Stadium without a PA system. It can get VERY loud.

Back