PRS fretwire question

The Ratchet

Am wondering - what are the specs on the fretwire used on most of the new USA PRSi? Such as Artist V, SC58, Sig Ltd, etc.

Most manufacturers post these specs or type of fretwire, and while I can find all the detailed info on the neck shapes/measurements in the Support area, I don't see anything on frets.

Some folks say 6150/6155 is closest, others have said Jescar FW47104..

????

I've wondered that too. Also, is there a record somewhere of how it changed over the years?

I've called PRS about this several times, going way back to 1996 regarding the frets on my ME1. I'm still waiting for a straight answer (from PRS)...I was given a few bum steers and a few "it's close to 6150" but never an exact spec.
I believe the "real" 11TOP (Steve) may have actually have gotten a more thorough response once...I know that he had all of his ME1 frets re-worked.

Luthier measurements and some detective work would lead me to the conclusion that the OP already has the wire spec for the "normal" fret wire, as "others" have said.

Ask PRS Customer Service. All I could ever get was "yeah, it's close to 6150", which was truth, but there are alot of wires with those approximate dimensions. Maybe they would be more specific if pressed harder than I did, and again consider that regardless of raw stock they could be crowning the frets in a manner that reduces their height a bit.

tdarian said:
Ask PRS Customer Service. All I could ever get was "yeah, it's close to 6150", which was truth, but there are alot of wires with those approximate dimensions. Maybe they would be more specific if pressed harder than I did, and again consider that regardless of raw stock they could be crowning the frets in a manner that reduces their height a bit.

LOL, while I like the idea of 'pressing them harder' than you did per se, what further wording should I use? If they don't tell me....should I say, "Don't make me come down there!!!"

I don't want to stir the wrath of the great Paul Reed...

ngbbs4b590bc83a208.jpg

Back