PRS Forum Music Project

tbs7duke

Connoisseur
Hey hey,

I've always wanted to do some spur of the moment, "long distance" recording with fellow guitarists through the internet.

Basically one guitarist sends a wav file with a track idea then it is send back and forth between them, building on it.

Anyone want to try to experiment with this at all? It's especially easy these days given the digital realm.

I've heard of people doing that. It's a neat idea but I'm not good enough to participate and I don't have any recording equipment.

I've heard of people doing that. It's a neat idea but I'm not good enough to participate and I don't have any recording equipment.
Who said you had to be good enough? This is just a fun project designed to make us do what we all love, play the guitar.

Why not, if we keep it simple :)

I probably don't have the talent, but I do have the equipment (modest home studio setup)

I've thought about this concept before too, I would love to take part but don't have any recording equipment at the moment... hoping to have some soon though!

I'll take a copy of the track you're layin down. I don't have equipment to record but if I think I can add anything to the project I might buy some. Probably an idle threat since I doubt I'll have something worth contributing.

I don't think I'm good enough to add any guitar parts - unless they are 'little guitar'.

I might add drums...

I'd love to jump in the pool. I'm no billy-bad-ass myself but I have enough patience to record as many tracks as it takes to get it just right. :) Hopefully in a week or so I'll have my hands on my preordered ZM and will be looking to wear it in. I have Logic Pro but even with different softwares we can simply export each track out by itself and have someone do the mixing if they are willing to tackle it. :)

Great Idea tbs7duke! I talked about this with other folks form time to time but it never gets any traction with them so it's all talk.

I'd love to jump in the pool. I'm no billy-bad-ass myself but I have enough patience to record as many tracks as it takes to get it just right. :) Hopefully in a week or so I'll have my hands on my preordered ZM and will be looking to wear it in. I have Logic Pro but even with different softwares we can simply export each track out by itself and have someone do the mixing if they are willing to tackle it. :)

Great Idea tbs7duke! I talked about this with other folks form time to time but it never gets any traction with them so it's all talk.

I've got logic too, but WAV files are universal. That's probably best like you said.

Guys - it's about fun. Yeah, it's scary to throw your playing out there, but it can be rewarding, too.

Strangely enough, Tommy Emmanuel is doing a similar project - you play along with one of his songs and submit your video to his site. In the guidelines, it says:

- Don’t worry about your skill level! This is about enjoying music and is not a competition!

And that's the attitude to have here!

Of course, that's easy for me to say because I know I won't win! :laugh:

Don't worry about skill levels!

You'd be surprised how much it can mean to have for examples just some chord rakes along with a riff, low in the mix. If you're not particular about playing lead or the most featured riff (I'm not, that's for sure), there's plenty space for simple stuff. I often find that's even more fun coming up with - something that fits in, low in the mix, without stepping on everything else.

...And while many people here are probably better at mixing than me, I'd love to give that a whirl.

Heck, everybody could do a mix, and we could vote for our favourite candidate! :)

I might have to give this a shot.
My Zoom R24 not sure if it does Wav files or not, but it does MP3 I believe.
I would not mind trying a rhythm part and passing it along.

I'll be laying some tracks down this weekend fellas. I'm thinking we could make like a PRS FORUM Google Doc's folder or dropbox with Wav. files to download and load into our respective DAW's.

I'm really excited about this! :408mt:

I'll be laying some tracks down this weekend fellas. I'm thinking we could make like a PRS FORUM Google Doc's folder or dropbox with Wav. files to download and load into our respective DAW's.

I'm really excited about this! :408mt:

Cool man!!!

So I guess you're the executive producer, then? :)

How do we do this - do we put stuff on top, or do we append onto the end of the tracks and see which direction everything goes? Or is it a total free-for-all? :)

Also - everybody: Remember to export your track as complete stems, starting from 00:00 on the timeline (or whatever the zero-point is in your respective DAWs) - so the files are possible to time-align.

I would further suggest (to make it halfway possible to mix x number of tracks from so many (hopefully) different people):
- All tracks as mono
- No reverbs or delays on the tracks
- No plugins on the tracks (At least unless you really know what you're doing).

Back