Prs Custom 24 can it compete with the best fender starts?

I believe that they smoke the best Strats. I love the Strat sound and recently bought one that i am very pleased with, but the Custom 24 covers way more ground in my opinion, the versatility is better than most guitars ive ever played. The Custom 24 to me is like a Swiss Army Knife.

They're completely, utterly, different from Strats.

I wouldn't expect a 24 fret, dual humbucker, set mahogany neck, maple/mahogany body, guitar to sound like a bolt on, maple neck, basswood or ash guitar, with three single coil pickups attached to a plastic pickguard.

Different as night and day.

Both good, just different from one another.

I'll make some assumptions and respond. I assume you are asking if the Cu24 can cop the sound of, and in that sense replace the Strat? Can it replace a Les Paul for that matter? IMO the answer is no. It is true that the Cu24 is very versatile and can get close to the tone of both the Strat and the LP. But if you are asking for the authentic quack of a Strat, no. Get a Strat. Fight the constant going out of tune with trem use, fight the upper register with only 21 frets, fight the string trees and the nut pinging, but get a Strat. If you want that big bottom end of a LP, get a LP. Fight the going out of tune, overlook the questionable quality, fight the weight, but get a LP.

Now if you want very usable single coil tones and very usable humbucker tones; in fact if you want some of those tones to be better than the Strat and the LP, then the Cu24 is ready and waiting. But if you want to match what you have experienced in the other competitors, IMO you won't be satisfied.

I have a PRS Custom 24 Artist Pack, and 13 other guitars. It would take me all day to get into the various things that I like about each one of my guitars. I even have an old $130 Fender acoustic, and I still play it, even though there's a $2,600 all-Myrtlewood Breedlove right next to it.

I also used to have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, which won out [for me] over a Gibson Les Paul Custom. To be specific, that particular Epiphone beat out that particular Gibson. They ended up being the finalists in a 3-hour shopping spree, and I pitted them against each other. As dramatic as that sounds, I could only afford one guitar at the time, and it had to be the right one.

That's what it comes down to for everyone. Play them, and make a decision. In the past, I never considered PRS because the price was just too far out there for me. At that time, I also never considered certain Gibsons or Fenders for the same reason.

Of course, this is a PRS forum, so I don't typically discuss my other guitars. However, I do play them all when I want different feels, different sounds, or I'm in a unique situation. I won't take my PRS to the park to play under a tree. That's where the $130 Fender comes in.

My PRS is probably the nicest guitar that I have, and I could probably sell it and use that money to buy a car, if I had to do that. I play it a lot. I don't know if I would be calling it "better," but I would definitely call it other things. Different, premium, inspiring, and a true joy to play.

34928516214_75f6f74417_h.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know a lot but i do know there is quite a difference, one is a tool for musicians. like a hammer for a carpenter.
The other is like a piece of artwork with no detail left unaddressed .

But if you are asking for the authentic quack of a Strat, no. Get a Strat. Fight the constant going out of tune with trem use, fight the upper register with only 21 frets, fight the string trees and the nut pinging, but get a Strat.

Better call Ron Thorn and get it right the first time. My R/S and PRSi live together in perfect complimentary harmony.

I can vouch for tuning issues on starts. I sometimes play my friends American strat deluxe on Sundays and you'd think that the locking tuners were 100% for show. Both my PRSi were in cases for a month and went through a move and were still in tune after!

I can vouch for tuning issues on starts. I sometimes play my friends American strat deluxe on Sundays and you'd think that the locking tuners were 100% for show. Both my PRSi were in cases for a month and went through a move and were still in tune after!

Locking tuners just don't make sense to me. The only cause of tuning issues at the post can be solved by thoroughly stretching your strings after a change.

The other tuning issues are at the nut & bridge which aren't addressed with locking tuners.

But it appears to have been adopted pretty well by the guitar buying community.

I've got locking tuners on my S2 Standard & 594, not on my McCarty Standard. I haven't noticed any less tuning stability on the McCarty Standard.

The straight string pull, nut material, & bridge design does an awful lot towards tuning stability.

Back