PRS Custom 24 2016 - Upgrade to PRS Tremolo GEN III

Rhandy

Hello

I think is one good idea PRS sell the male and female screws of GEN III tremolo for who have GEN II can Upgrade it. Everyone could make the change by one good luthier. Is only open the screws holes on guitar body, install the female screws and we could have one good upgrade.

There is more going on with the GenIII than just screws. You would basically be replacing everything but the block and arm.

But I think, the most important is screws for more mass contact and sustain.

The base is milled differently though.

I´m watching one picture more closer. And yes is different. I love my guitar and now after setup is sounding WOW! But I think is fair PRS give oportunity for people upgrade bridge!

I send email to PRS support and they answer is not for sell as spare part. This link have one picture of the bridge as my bridge. Not the GEN III bridge.

The Gen III have some trails for saddles screws.

A3223601.jpg

Hello

I think is one good idea PRS sell the male and female screws of GEN III tremolo for who have GEN II can Upgrade it. Everyone could make the change by one good luthier. Is only open the screws holes on guitar body, install the female screws and we could have one good upgrade.

You would have to make the holes in the bridge plate larger as well, I'm fairly certain.

I have both and personally see no reason to hanker for a Gen III over a Gen II, in fact in some ways I like the Gen II more. The Mann 2000 NOS bridge is the only "upgrade" I ever make to a PRS.

Sorry, but what is the difference between The Mann 2000 NOS and PRS Bridge. For me looks same.

Sorry, but what is the difference between The Mann 2000 NOS and PRS Bridge. For me looks same.

I personally prefer the way the Mann looks, to me the one piece looks cleaner and a bit more elegant. There is a difference in both tone and feel and this is admittedly a very subjective area.

Edit: a relatively inexpensive upgrade are John's saddles, if you feel there is something out there you are missing.

https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/PRS_Vibrato_Bridge_Saddle_Set_p/4001.htm

These make a big difference for me.

Last edited:
Important to note, there are two different versions of the Gen III: one with locking saddles (PS only) and one without (PS option until made the Core standard for 2017).

The MannMade USA bridge is the original bridge design used by PRS. It is a single piece of brass vs. separate top plate and block. Superior, in my opinion, in two ways: the one piece core; and the strings sit much deeper in block so the overall string length is slightly shorter and the strongest part of the strings cross over the top. Bonus is, it's more affordable than the PRS piece, so if you're replacing an old, worn bridge or upgrading the SE/S2 version, it's a no-brainer decision.

I personally prefer the way the Mann looks, to me the one piece looks cleaner and a bit more elegant. There is a difference in both tone and feel and this is admittedly a very subjective area.

Edit: a relatively inexpensive upgrade are John's saddles, if you feel there is something out there you are missing.

Thank for all your help! Now I´m understanding better.

Important to note, there are two different versions of the Gen III: one with locking saddles (PS only) and one without (PS option until made the Core standard for 2017).

The MannMade USA bridge is the original bridge design used by PRS. It is a single piece of brass vs. separate top plate and block. Superior, in my opinion, in two ways: the one piece core; and the strings sit much deeper in block so the overall string length is slightly shorter and the strongest part of the strings cross over the top. Bonus is, it's more affordable than the PRS piece, so if you're replacing an old, worn bridge or upgrading the SE/S2 version, it's a no-brainer decision.

Yes, the core 2017 don`t have locking saddles. So you think original MannMade is better than PRS original in 2016 core model?

What are the big difference ? in tone? sustain?

Yes, the core 2017 don`t have locking saddles. So you think original MannMade is better than PRS original in 2016 core model?

In my opinion, yes. But still, it isn't a night vs. day difference. I wouldn't suggest rushing to replace parts as long you have a Core PRS bridge in good working order.

In my opinion, yes. But still, it isn't a night vs. day difference. I wouldn't suggest rushing to replace parts as long you have a Core PRS bridge in good working order.

Thenk you Garret, But My Prs is new, all saddles are in perfect state. I just start this discussion because I think Gen III have more sustain and in beginning I thought the great improvement is the screws have more contact to body.

You have more mass is logical have more sustain.

Something small like incresed mass on a screw is gonna make a difference but it wont be enough to make it noticeable. A different amp and a good compressor will do more to make a noticeable difference in sustain than screws will. Ive never heard any PRS with sustain that was lacking.

Back