PRS CU 24 - 3way push/pull volume drop problem

Lukc

Hello,

My name is Luka and Im new here.

I have problem with my PRS CU24. So I had HFS/VS pickups which I never liked and I was looking for replacement. Thank I saw Starla model and I really liked the sound of Starla pickups. I did my internet / youtube research and bought the pickups.

Pups are great, I use them with 3 way push/pull knob but one very big problem is when I switch to single coils the sound have like 20-30% volume drop which is really noticable and unpleasant. My wiring schematics is http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/mccarty.pdf

I there any solution for this? Really want your opinion on this.

Thank you!

Luka

Yeah it kinda sucks but it is what it is. Having half the pickup sensing the strings will naturally have far less output. As Sergio mentioned a compressor will allow you to boost the lower output while keeping the dynamics in control. I love having compressors on my clean sounds anyway, but not high gain sounds as it's naturally compressed to begin with.

And as John mentioned the 408 is nice because when switching to one coil, it adds enough winds around that one coil so to match the output level of having both coils engaged. It's a brillant idea that works really well. I'd love to see a set of full size 57/08's with the same feature!

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2012/dgt_2012.pdf

Look at the diagram for the push/pull. See how it has resistors on it? Get yourself some of those. Instead of cutting off the other coil entirely, it only partially cuts off the coil, so you get a beefier tone and less volume drop, and IMHO, a much more authentic single coil tone. This mod costs less than $1 and should be done to every humbucker guitar with coil splitting.

Thank You all for info. John, thats interesting idea and its not that expensive either. I have some soldering skills but I cannot see clearly where the ressistors are connected. One side is on middle lug of tone pot but what about the other?

Each one is connected to the middle lug of the push/pull and run to ground (the back or side of the pot). Make sure they're not connected together.

Back