PRS Cases

So with every other guitar I own, I have a hardshell case from the manufacturer.

I wanted to do the same with my PRS's, but it looks like the PRS case says it does not fit the SE and S2 lines.

I have the two older ZMs (solid body) and the two newer ZMs (semi-hollow), and I am planning on getting an S2 in the next few weeks or so hopefully.

How drastically different are the bodies from the core models that they don't fit the PRS case? Does/did PRS make a hard case for them at any point, and if not what cases do you guys use/recommend for the SEs and S2s?

I believe SBK makes a great HSC for the SEs. No experience here to back that up.
This. I don't have an SE in the SBK, but their cases are top notch. I know CoreyT has these cases and SE's. I'm sure he could let you know how well they fit.

I have my PRS SE Custom 24 7-String in a standard PRS case. Fits perfect.
The S2 should fit, I would think.
The only thing that might change that is the thickness of the hollow ones.

Thanks Bodia.

Most PRS guitars including the SEs will fit the PRS case, but I had trouble with my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom, and the ZM.
They would not lay flat.
I now own four of the SKB cases, but they are not cheap, around $250 each.
But to me they are worth it as the guitars lay flat, and you can tow the case like luggage since it has wheels on one end.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T23AMO...&qid=1456504037&sr=sr-1&keywords=prs+skb+case

Here is my new S2 I got last Thursday in a new one.
This case fits about any PRS guitar.

10.jpg

I use a Roadrunner polyfoam case from roadrunner for my SE Tremonti Custom. It fits well, protects well, doesn`t weigh a lot and was very inexpensive.

Thanks Bodia.

Most PRS guitars including the SEs will fit the PRS case, but I had trouble with my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom, and the ZM.
They would not lay flat.
I now own four of the SKB cases, but they are not cheap, around $250 each.
But to me they are worth it as the guitars lay flat, and you can tow the case like luggage since it has wheels on one end.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T23AMO...&qid=1456504037&sr=sr-1&keywords=prs+skb+case

Here is my new S2 I got last Thursday in a new one.
This case fits about any PRS guitar.

10.jpg
Does that case work for both the SC and DC guitars? It looks like that from the Amazon pics but I can't really tell.

Does that case work for both the SC and DC guitars? It looks like that from the Amazon pics but I can't really tell.
Yes it does.
I have the following in the four:
SE Tremonti Custom
SE Zachary Myers
S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow.

It even fits my 2012 SE Santana, but I keep it in a regular PRS hard shell case.

I do not mind the heavy weight of these, as I rarely carry them, I pull them behind me and they roll effortlessly.

I've been researching cases in the hope to find a molded-fit for a 2016 SE C24.
I'm in Australia so I don't know the retailer (Sweetwater), but they list this as a PRS product: PRS Vintage Guitar Case.
Odd that PRS don't sell this on their website. I can't see any PRS branding on it. But heaps of reviews saying various core/SE's fit it well.
Anyone seen or used these?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRSCase

Edit: Oops, just noticed it has the same code as the 'PRS Multi-Fit Case' from the PRS website: ACC-4255
Same case - different name. $10 cheaper at sweetwater :-D

Last edited:
Yep, I have several of those too.
They do indeed fit SEs, Cores, etc.
It is the same case my Core 408 shipped in from the factory to my dealer.
But I could not get my SE Tremonti Custom or Zach Myers to lay perfectly flat in them which lead me to buying the SKB ones.

One of the early reviews on that site suggested his SE CU24 neck doesn't rest in the support until the lid is closed, which leaves the rear body elevated slightly. i.e. not a snug or fully supported fit in terms of body depth.
Do you know if your '12 SE CU24 has the same issue with this case?
I don't know if there are differences in body depth between SE's and Core CU24's, but the reviewer said the Korean won't fill it out like a US made model.

No, my 2012 SE CU24 lays perfectly flat in the PRS cases, that is what I keep it and my 2012 SE Santana in.
The problem I had with the SEs Tremonti Custom and ZM was the neck stood off of the support.
I did lay a towel under the lower bout of the guitars, but the case is just not cut deep enough for them to lay flat.
The SKB cases are nice and deep.

I tried searching for that old thread with pics of the depth of the PRS case verses the SKB, but the link pointed to the old forum, so my thread may have not survived the move to the new forum here.

Thanks Corey. Do you know if there is any place to get dimension info on SE's (how thick the body is??).
Specifically CU24's, I'd be interested to know if it's changed over the years, or more importantly, what it is now on the 2016 model.

Ok, I'll have to talk to some dealers and see what they recommend.
Thanks again for your help.

There are plenty of multi-fit hard cases with dimensions for PRSi and many other guitar flavours, just Google.

I know one thing, PRS cases have to be the heaviest in weight of any case out there of traditional design. Man, in 04, my girl bought me my McCarty as a gift in Dallas, Texas where we were visiting family. I left earlier than she did and I had to lug that thing through DFW airport and thought my arm was gonna fall off. On the plane it went wrapped with a twist tie after TSA oggled it. It arrived in Honolulu with not a scratch on it and then I had to lug it to remote parking. By the time I got home, I hated the thing. But it does offer great protection.

PRS support told me the Multi-fit is not recommended for any SE's due to the different neck angle the SE's have which doesn't allow it to sit perfectly flat in the neck pocket of the case. This came about after many complaints, so rather than risking damage to the guitar(s), they simply don't recommend them anymore.

Back