PRS Cabinet Speaker Swap

I realized that my match up of amps, cabinets and speakers was not 'optimum' so we swapped the
speakers between cabinets. The DG Custom ported 2x12 now has the WGS Veteran 30/ET-65 and the PRS Deep closed back 2x12 has the pair of WGS ET-90's. Why? Because, in my mind, the HXDA(50watt) should be driving the pair of ET-90's(rated at 90 watts each) and the DG30 watt should be driving the Vet30/ET-65(rated at 60/65 watts respectively). Call me crazy, but I just had to make the swap. Testing in progress...

5rGC1zB.jpg

I should add that I'm using Fender 5', 14 gauge speaker cables on all cabinets.

Last edited:
You're not crazy, I'd be doing the same kind of swapping/testing if I had the energy. But my back is in such crummy shape I can't do the exhausting bending over necessary to do the work.

You're not crazy, I'd be doing the same kind of swapping/testing if I had the energy. But my back is in such crummy shape I can't do the exhausting bending over necessary to do the work.

All the speaker swapping was done on the kitchen table, waist high, with a power driver for the backpanels. Since they were already soldered up, I just grabbed both magnets and lift them out. The 'fun' part was finding the one washer for the input jack when I removed it that'd dropped into one of the speakers. Took less than 40 minutes for both. Testing and evaluation continues...

Update:

Ted 57/08's--->HX/DA(50w)--->PRS Deep Cabinet w/WGS ET-90's. (No effect pedals, just cables).

So here's the deal, this cabinet has massive power handling capacity so every nuance of the amp is revealed. Meaning that you must spend some quality time dialing in the amp to match the speaker configuration. Amp settings: All HX switch settings selected. HX/DA Gain: 9:30, Bass Gain: 2:00, T: 10:00, M: 1:00, B: 8:00, P: 8:30, MV: 3:00. Everything from Fairly Clean(Lower Volume) to British Dirty(Medium/Loud) gets controlled by the Volumes, Tones and 3-way switch on the guitar. They interact in such a way you can have all the amp tones at your right hand. It's the only way to control this beast. So in conclusion, run the Master as wide open as 'reasonable', fiddle with the pre-amp settings, then let the guitar do all the rest. YMMV of course. Have Fun~!

Last edited:
Back