PRS Bass for someone who plays bass occasionally

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Hey folks,

Let's cover all the bases/basses here:

:p

So it occurred to me that I'm missing a PRS bass in my collection. I have a couple of P-bass clones at home, one that is actually OK to play. I typically have used a bandmate's Yamaha (I think) bass when recording for our CDs or film soundtracks because it was handy in their home-studio.

But I would like to have my own "good" bass, especially now that I am re-assembling my own home studio.

I had a hankering for an SE bass, especially the Kingfisher - they seem to be nice quality at a good price range. But I held off because I've always wanted to play a 5-string bass - seems like it would give me some extra range, and should be just as easy for me to adapt to playing as properly learning the 4-string (I can play, but I'm no expert). If PRS came out with a 5-string SE priced not too much more than the current SEs, I'd jump on it.

So that leads me to the GG-5 model. And there are some nice ones out there on the used market. I think I want a maple neck & fretboard, but I also think I would find an IRW board acceptable.

Or, I could go with a "regular" GG-4, on the assumption it is going to have some subtle improvements over the SE line, much as a core does over the SE line.

How are the older core non-GG basses? A co-worker, who plays bass professionally (weekend warrior, like me, I suppose) tried an older used 5-string non-GG PRS bass a few months back and was not impressed - he felt other well-known brands at half the price new played better. :shrug:

Anyone here with lots of experience with the range of PRS Basses?

I'm not a bass player, either. I have three basses for recording stuff at home - a Yamaha, a Cory Gene Simmons axe bass, and a Kingfisher. There's not contest in my mind - the Kingfisher blows the other two away. I can't justify paying core prices for a bass (and most people say I can't justify it for guitars, either!), so I'm more than happy with it. It's the first thing I grab for bass parts.

Well this is what I get for browsing the topic of this thread online at various sites looking to baseline used pricing across the various PRS Bass lines (no pun intended!):

Just bought a used SE Kingfisher in Tortoise Shell from GC (they called it "brown") - spotted online, called the store. Price was very low, so I figured it probably came without the gig bag, and may have suffered buckle rash or similar. Apparently it looks to be in new condition, just dusty, according to the sales rep, even has the protective film on the back controls cover. But I was right about the gig bag. Are the SE bass gig bags much bigger than the regular SE guitar gig bags?

Should be here by the end of the week, so I'll post a NBD (New Bass Day) thread when it arrives...

One more thing:

The lack of gig bag is not a Big Thing, because I have a few bass guitar cases to use instead, but I wouldn't mind picking up a proper PRS SE Bass gig bag if available. I don't see them in the PRS Store, nor anywhere online. Anyone know if they are generally available? I suppose if I really need to I could buy a third-party soft case, but I really like the quality of the PRS gig bags - I know it will be the right choice.

Back