PRS Archon 100W - Lead channel BUSTED

Matt Ward

I bought my Archon in February 2016, used it very little, it has not left my home studio. I have been trying to sell my gear and successfully sold my cab a few weeks ago, and since my amp has remained untouched. I tried to sell my amp today and when testing the Lead channel it was COMPLETELY unusable. The Lead Master was so sensitive that I couldn't physically get it to play at a level that wouldn't blow your ears out: through a Suhr cab that the guy brought (not sure of the exact model but I definitely matched the impedance which was 8 Ohms). It was either no signal or absolutely incredibly loud, and all within what was effectively about 5 degrees of rotation turning the knob. I tried 50W and 100W, I tried unplugging the foot switch, I tried everything that I (as a person who's not hugely knowledgeable or experienced about amplifiers) could think of. However the person I was selling to was far more knowledgeable than I and said that there was definitely an issue with it, but I have no idea what the problem is...

I am quite frankly annoyed that I am just out of warranty because I sold my cab and didn't notice this issue within the year, and last time I used it, in probably January 2017 there was no issue at all. I am taking it to the shop I bought it from originally (GuitarGuitar Epsom) tomorrow but I wanted to run this topic by everyone on here in case there's a solution I could do myself. I'm posting this on the PRS Tech Centre as well as I'm not sure which one would be most suitable for solving the problem. If anyone could help I'd be so grateful!

If the Archon is like most PRS amps check the level of the effects send and return they should be set at between noon and 2 o'clock even when not using the loop
Also send an email or call to PTC they are more than generous with there warranty policy and super helpful in general
Good Luck

If the Archon is like most PRS amps check the level of the effects send and return they should be set at between noon and 2 o'clock even when not using the loop
Also send an email or call to PTC they are more than generous with there warranty policy and super helpful in general
Good Luck
Hey man thanks for the speedy reply! I don't think there is a level control for the effects look. I'm going to call them tomorrow most probably! Thanks and all the best,
Matt :)

I'd grab a known good preamp tube and start swapping to rule out a bad tube.

Have you tried seeing if it's a bad tube?

The vast majority of amp issues arise from a bad tube somewhere in the circuit.

Also, FYI the PRS amplifier warranty is 5 years.

So the clean channel doesn't react this way?
Yes the clean channel is fine. The lead channel is the problem. I'm going to go to my local store and have the tubes tested since I don't have any spare 6L6's lying around. Thank you everyone! :D

If it's a tube, I guess it's a preamp tube seeing as only one channel is affected. Even that doesn't seem likely. I'm no amp tech, but it sounds more like a relay issue(something internal) or something like that.

Agree with @vchizzle it doesn't sound like a tube problem to me. I had different symptoms, but mine turned out to be a burned out resistor.

Took it to the shop and they thought my fuses were busted (I don't really know if they were) but they replaced them and tested all my output valves (6L6) and they were all fine. Experimented today and turned the preamp volume down SUPER low and the output gain for the lead channel went from silent to full volume within a few degrees but it was listenable since the preamp gain was at basically nothing, and after about 5 degrees of turn the volume would max out and turning the master knob past that point made no difference to the sound, whether it was all the way at full, or at almost nothing. So the store are taking it in for repair and will be testing the preamp tubes, transformer and then I assume they'd test the potentiometer in the preamp panel for the controls for the lead channel. Thanks guys, I'll let you know what the issue ends up being. I think I might have turned the amp on without a speaker load. I remember plugging my amp directly into my interface one time but I'm pretty sure I left my cab plugged in, although only God knows haha!

Sounds like someone secretly have you the mesa boogie volume mod!

Seriously though, any updates yet?

Back