PRS Archive Guitars

How many of you have a PRS from within the first 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?

My first is a 97 model Custom 22, so 12 years or so after production started

AOTZ8bw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know most of us will have seen this video, but I feel it has its place here!

It never ceases to amaze me that Paul, despite being 29-30 years old, looked like a teenager! I’m wondering how many venues he was refused at, whilst trying to get in to show his guitars, as he looked under age.

I know the coloured finishes are so, so amazing, but you can’t beat a bit of natural.

Love it!:D

Thanks! That was never listed as an available "color" so from what I understand, it's sort of unusual/limited production model. I actually called the factory with a question when I got it, and when the guy asked for my serial number, he almost immediately said "oh you got that one!" I joked "is that good or bad?" and he said " we don't even list the natural flamed maple top as an available finish, so that one is rather rare and I think they're very nice." I was surprised that he that quickly knew what guitar I had. He said he remembered seeing it when it was finished, and really liked it. (I wonder who that was I talked to, back in 97 or 98. He told me his name, but I didn't remember it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! That was never listed as an available "color" so from what I understand, it's sort of unusual/limited production model. I actually called the factory with a question when I got it, and when the guy asked for my serial number, he almost immediately said "oh you got that one!" I joked "is that good or bad?" and he said " we don't even listed the natural flamed maple top as an available finish, so that one is rather rare and I think they're very nice." I was surprised that he that quickly knew what guitar I had. He said he remembered seeing it when it was finished, and really liked it. (I wonder who that was I talked to, back in 97 or 98. He told me his name, but I didn't remember it).
That’s a great story. It’s amazing how these guys remember the instruments!

She’s very pretty!

My first is a 97 model Custom 22, so 12 years or so after production started
It took me until 96 to free up enough to get a Custom 22. Then a few months later I added the HB they sent to Canada for a trade show - I bought it before the show so no one else could make a better offer.

But I do have one other one that might be an archives candidate - not until after it visits a key founding member though.

Hey all,

It was suggested that I do a series of videos about the guitars residing in the PRS Archives. So as I find time in my schedule, I'll create short videos featuring different guitars in the collection. I'll post the videos here and I'll try to answer any questions you might have about the instruments.

I'm going to start at the beginning. These are the first two guitars built by Paul. The single cutaway model is #1 and it started out as a class project while in his freshman year at college. He was 18 years old! The double cutaway (#2) followed shortly after. As Paul likes to say, "When people first learn to play the guitar, they play covers of other people's music." When he first started building guitars, he was making covers of other people's guitars.

Enjoy

Thank God you used "Landscape" instead of "Portrait" while filming. John Mayer and whoever does Paul's Periscope/NAMM vid's, needs to get a clue.

Back