PRS announces the high-gain Archon amplifier

NICE!!!! Sick sounding amp and a great price!! Once my last PRS purchase is paid off I'm getting one!! Curious...can we have the wood stained to any color? Gunna have to talk to my buddy Jack Gretz!!

NICE!!!! Sick sounding amp and a great price!! Once my last PRS purchase is paid off I'm getting one!! Curious...can we have the wood stained to any color? Gunna have to talk to my buddy Jack Gretz!!

I believe they're all supposed to be charcoal, but I guess PRS does offer the whole PRS Custom Amp Design (CAD) program so you might be able to custom order something different for an upcharge? Hard to get more metal than charcoal, but I hear what you're saying, color option would have been sweet as I had a custom 100w 2-Channel H that had a Rainforest face plate that looked SICK!

PRS2ChannelHGainMonsterProfile.jpg

PRS2ChannelHGainMonster1.jpg

Rainforest is a fantastic color. Green can certainly be metal...Obsidian anyone?!

My understanding is that for 2014, the Archon will not be customizable. My guess is they may open it up to CAD where you can order different tolex's and what not. With that being said, might be worth an email to PTC to see if they'll do a little refinish action! ;)

Rainforest is a fantastic color. Green can certainly be metal...Obsidian anyone?!

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about Obsidian. I despise green but this is growing on me.

My understanding is that for 2014, the Archon will not be customizable. My guess is they may open it up to CAD where you can order different tolex's and what not. With that being said, might be worth an email to PTC to see if they'll do a little refinish action! ;)

I also heard something like this.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about Obsidian. I despise green but this is growing on me.

Right. It's pretty gnarly. I could see doing an AP with it.

Right. It's pretty gnarly. I could see doing an AP with it.
I'm considering color options for a Floyd Custom 24. The Violet is the main contender right now. Don't think I could commit to Obsidian.

If that is the case, it is really strange they didn't put a boost on it. :iamconfused:
I'm OK with that cause I've never had one on any amp I've owned, but always thought it was a great feature on the 2 channel.

I'm considering color options for a Floyd Custom 24. The Violet is the main contender right now. Don't think I could commit to Obsidian.

To my eyes Violet is incredibly close to a few PS colors. Great color.

If that is the case, it is really strange they didn't put a boost on it. :iamconfused:
I'm OK with that cause I've never had one on any amp I've owned, but always thought it was a great feature on the 2 channel.

Can't say I look at the ARCHON and want for anything. I suppose a boost would be cool but I don't desire one.

I wish there was a lower wattage one offered.
Not all of us play on stage.
A nice 5 watt one would be great, kind of like my Blackstar HT5R-H.

I have been BEGGING for a lower wattage fire breather for a long time............

Right there with you guys. Maybe 2015? I hope.
For those who are concerned about the volume from a 50 or 100 watt amp, have you tried using an attenuator to control the volume?

I was talking with my dealer and PRS about a CAD amp for clean tone. I love my HX/DA for dirt and it takes pedals extremely well, but I have a flaky Fender I use for creamy cleans. They were telling me hang tight something was in the works. This be it! Hopefully it'll meet my needs and I can dump this Fender before I need to send it off for yet another repair (tube socket solder cracking... really Fender???) :mad:

As for boost - I just use a pedal (Xotic EP) and kind of prefer that to an internal boost. You have to step on something anyway, and there are all sorts of boost pedals that give you more options tone-wise than an internal would.

Agreed but I think they were smart about this since the distortion and clean channel are both AMAZING, they realized a lot of guys generally use their own pedal in the loop for boost and verb. I mean most people I know that have amps with lead channels still prefer to dial it mild and throw an EP or OCD in front of it for that extra hair.

Agreed but I think they were smart about this since the distortion and clean channel are both AMAZING, they realized a lot of guys generally use their own pedal in the loop for boost and verb. I mean most people I know that have amps with lead channels still prefer to dial it mild and throw an EP or OCD in front of it for that extra hair.
Very true. I use the EP quite a bit...ok, just about every song at some point. PRS usually tries to cover all the possible bases, that's the only reason I found it odd.

Floyd CU24 Obsidian with \m/ pickups plugged into Archon will be totally metal!:rock:

That is a little surprising for this kind of amp. I thought it was a great add on to the custom.

Back