Prs amplifiers really worth the money?

Archie090612

Hi guys I have no doubt that prs guitars are great, I have a custom 24 that I have had quite a while and I'm really happy with it and it's unique features, I currently use a vox amp I have bin browsing through prs selection and they seem really expensive compared to other brands are they worth it?

PRS amplifiers, in my experience, are the best kept secret in the industry. At shows, people don't know what it is I'm playing, forcing them to come up and ask! My amp is a huge part of my guitar personality and I think it sounds great. Unique voicing, immaculate build quality, fantastic support, and vibe that makes me grin every time. It has been one of the most sound investments I've ever made. Highly recommended.

Fair enough I'm going to look in to dealers near me to try test one of these beasts I'm not a gigger anyway I just play at home.

For home use, I'd find a retailer that plans on stocking the new Sonzera line. For the money, they are looking - and sounding - good. I've seen them in person, but never heard them, so you'll want to do your research. But when compared to the competition, they look to be great bangs for the buck.

PRS amplifiers, in my experience, are the best kept secret in the industry. At shows, people don't know what it is I'm playing, forcing them to come up and ask! My amp is a huge part of my guitar personality and I think it sounds great. Unique voicing, immaculate build quality, fantastic support, and vibe that makes me grin every time. It has been one of the most sound investments I've ever made. Highly recommended.

Definitely this!

For home use, I'd find a retailer that plans on stocking the new Sonzera line. For the money, they are looking - and sounding - good. I've seen them in person, but never heard them, so you'll want to do your research. But when compared to the competition, they look to be great bangs for the buck.

+1 to the Sonzera! I am likely going to order one online sight unseen. I am hoping they are available in next week or two!

Electrics, Acoustics and yes Amps...at every price point...anything with the PRS name on it is more than worth the price.

Amplifiers, like guitars, are tools.

With hand tools, some prefer Snap-on, others Craftsman, or Rigid or Stanley.

What matters is that you buy all the tools so you can always have the right tool for the job.

<cough>

I mean, *try* all the tools so that you can learn the characteristics of each, thus being able to determine which tool you need to keep in your tool box... and in your car... and in the garage... and in the basement... and in the shed because it's such a long walk back to the house if need a tool...

That said, PRS amps are awesome!

I have three. All fabulous. An "H", a Custom 50 and an SE50. I have two mesas, a Lone Star and a Single Rec, that are also tops. One Fender that I like for cleans and pedals. Are PRS amps worth the price...yes. Next question...

Can't say I've heard an PRS sound amazing on the overdrive channel. I do like the cleans I've heard, but nothing a Mesa, Two Rock or Morgan can't do. I've heard Mayer's V9 live and it was very good - but I thought his Two Rock sounded better. Sorry, I'm in the "meh" camp. Love the guitars though.

No, they are most definitely not worth the money. They are worth more.

Can't say I've heard an PRS sound amazing on the overdrive channel. I do like the cleans I've heard, but nothing a Mesa, Two Rock or Morgan can't do. I've heard Mayer's V9 live and it was very good - but I thought his Two Rock sounded better. Sorry, I'm in the "meh" camp. Love the guitars though.

To each his own, for sure. I have 5 amps, including Mesa, Bogner and PRS. But I'm curious if you could elaborate on what you are looking for in a dirt tone and what PRS amps you've tried. And what amp you think gives great dirt.

Hi I haven't used that many I've had a fender amp, a marshall and i currently use a vox ac15 heratige 50th anniversary not a big amp but fine for my home use I haven't tried a prs amp so far but it's am looking try some out.

Every time someone talks about the Archon being a fire breather, I reference this video that Aristotle posted back in the summer. I love this clip, and it really opened my eyes to what you can do with it.

Last edited:
I acquired a Custom 20 at the Experience PRS event last year. As Boogie has said, it literally makes me just bust out and SMILE sometimes. I can remember numerous mornings on the worship rotation at church (where it can get loud and lively), and digging into a chord, then thinking "Ooooohhh, that crunch!!"
I do use an OCD overdrive and an EP boost in front of it. But still, I can "feel" the warm response and richness of the amp, and how it tracks so faithfully to picking nuances. To each their own, but this one gives me everything that I am looking for in an amp.

Back