PRS A60E SE Arrived Safely

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Have got some good news to share with you folks...

Seems that the IRS was kind to me this year, much more than in previous years, so I've decided to put some of my money back into the economy.

Sweetwater had several SE A60E's in stock, and I think I may have snagged the one with the nicest reverse side...no discoloration, solid color throughout, the others had some unusual lighter marking (OK for some folks who might not mind that).

My example is directly from the factory, save for the inspection Sweetwater performed...am looking forward to the guitar's arrival soon.

This guitar will replace the one that got away from me several months back when it was sold in order to finance a larger purchase. At the time the funds weren't available, so employing the one-in-one-out rule, a sale was made that facilitated the larger purchase.

Happy to say now that my guitar hangers will soon see a new arrival join my apartment's display. What was once a missing piece of my puzzle will soon be filled, in the next several days.

Congtrats !!! First impressions ? I'm thinking about getting one, too

Thanks. This one was a replacement for one that got away from me a couple months back. My impression is that the ziricote back/sides makes for a more resonant tone, not as bright as maple, not as dark as mahogany. Much more balanced and even-sounding. The PRS YT vids do it justice. Bryan Ewald does a good job showing us how the A60E stands up for itself.

Thanks. I'll check out the Bryan Ewald video you mentioned.

Here's a direct link...at about 2:45 Bryan describes the tone...and then launches into some examples...enjoy...

Some may call it blasphemy, but like my previous A60E, my plan is to place a clear plastic pick guard round the lower bout sound hole...and I've got some 5mm (correct size and taper) aged bone abalone dot bridge pins on order, as upgrades to an already nicely appointed acoustic. The pick guard is removable, but will help protect the guitar while strumming or from percussive techniques. Also a custom truss rod cover with flying abalone eagle, soon to arrive...

Stew-Mac has the pick guards, eBay both (JellyFishAudio), the bridge pins...and (acmesupergenius) the truss rod covers...

Last edited:
The recent arrival...

aSLo5wj.jpg

mkn3QxF.jpg

O4E9Dmo.jpg

y23u1jG.jpg

7UVT0Oj.jpg

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Some additional images above, displaying ornamental upgrades. StewMac Clear Pickguard, JellyFishAudio Abalone Aged Bone 5mm Bridge Pins, WEC Inlay Eagle Truss Rod Cover. Thanks for viewing!

Some additional images above, displaying ornamental upgrades. StewMac Clear Pickguard, JellyFishAudio Abalone Aged Bone 5mm Bridge Pins, WEC Inlay Eagle Truss Rod Cover. Thanks for viewing!
Beautiful ! I think I'll upgrade the bridge pins too.
I got a great example when I bought my A60E as well. Incredible tone and workmanship is flawless. I can't believe they can build these as well as they do but I guess labor cost in China is the answer. What I can't get over is how good this thing sounds unplugged and how easily it plays. The spruce tops and the grain vary somewhat with some of the examples I see online. Some have those light streaks which can be stunning or just distracting depending on the pattern.
I would make sure you see actual photos of the guitar if that is important to you. I bought mine from Kraft Music in Wisconsin who posts actual photos of the guitar and were great to deal with BTW. I've owned a lot of more expensive guitars but this one is one of my favorites along with my PRS SE P20e parlor blacktop.

Beautiful ! I think I'll upgrade the bridge pins too.
I got a great example when I bought my A60E as well. Incredible tone and workmanship is flawless. I can't believe they can build these as well as they do but I guess labor cost in China is the answer. What I can't get over is how good this thing sounds unplugged and how easily it plays. The spruce tops and the grain vary somewhat with some of the examples I see online. Some have those light streaks which can be stunning or just distracting depending on the pattern.
I would make sure you see actual photos of the guitar if that is important to you. I bought mine from Kraft Music in Wisconsin who posts actual photos of the guitar and were great to deal with BTW. I've owned a lot of more expensive guitars but this one is one of my favorites along with my PRS SE P20e parlor blacktop.
If you're upgrading bridge pins, be sure to use the 5mm ones. Larger diameter ones won't fit properly. Search for 5 mm bridge pins, and hopefully they'll be there. (Bone bridge pins in 5 mm are as rare as hen's teeth and available only in Europe, that doesn't offer USD payment...)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tional-bridge-pin-set-black-with-2mm-paua-dot

https://graphtech.com/collections/all/products/tusq-bridge-pins-white-with-4mm-paua-dot

https://graphtech.com/collections/t...ucts/tusq-bridge-pins-black-with-4mm-paua-dot

Last edited:
Here's a direct link...at about 2:45 Bryan describes the tone...and then launches into some examples...enjoy...

Some may call it blasphemy, but like my previous A60E, my plan is to place a clear plastic pick guard round the lower bout sound hole...and I've got some 5mm (correct size and taper) aged bone abalone dot bridge pins on order, as upgrades to an already nicely appointed acoustic. The pick guard is removable, but will help protect the guitar while strumming or from percussive techniques. Also a custom truss rod cover with flying abalone eagle, soon to arrive...

Stew-Mac has the pick guards, eBay both (JellyFishAudio), the bridge pins...and (acmesupergenius) the truss rod covers...
I ordered the 5mm bone pins you suggested from JellyFishAudio and the pins stuck up about 1/4th of an inch in all pin holes. No reply from JellyFishAudio about the pins or my $32 refund either. So I'm back to the stock A60e plastic,unless I decide to do the drill sanding trick on bone pins.

I bought the same guitar from Sweetwater a few months ago ($930), and have been happy with it except for the pins sinking in so deep that they're difficult to remove.

Back