Private Stock questions

Bumpy Dog

Fantastic thread [PSF], thanks to all for some amazing pictures - I am just about to pull the trigger and spec my first Private Stock, does anyone have any words of wisdom, watch outs or just general advice. It's a significant investment and I really don't want to suffer the indecision blues!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick the right dealer. Not all dealers have equal experience with PS and since sometimes it will be a game of telephone it's important you get one who understands what you're after and can help out along the way. Good luck, let us know what you're building!

My only tip would be 'take your time' with the spec. Its more complex than it appears at first. Make sure you specify every detail of what you want. Don't assume someone else will fill in the blanks. That and, do listen to the Private Stock people. They will advise against poor choices.

Do your initial quote with pretty much everything you think you might want and be prepared to trim options down.

Be flexible, especially if you go to the vault. Paul & Tina are invaluable sources for what works and what doesn't. And if you do go to the vault, don't be afraid to let a piece of wood take you in a different direction. That happened to me - I was convinced I was doing an IRW neck - ended up with Honduran because the neck blanks rang so much better. And a few BRW fretboards almost took me away from my ebony plan.

Most of all, enjoy it - the journey is as much fun as the destination!

Many thanks to all, I have been subconsciously speccing one for about 10 years, I do have a really good dealer to work with and the European Director also, who has helped many customers - I'm in good hands. It's also really good to know the guys in Maryland know their stuff and will help out too just in case :) It would be great to visit the vault, but I just can't get out there in the near future, having watched just about everything there is on the web about the process, they are going to know a heck of a lot more than me anyway!
I'm really looking forward to the whole experience, it's a once in a lifetime for me (if my wife is listening)

Face Time, Skype, phone calls - there are other ways to "be" there.

Good luck with it - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Get a dealer you can go to the vault with...Brians guitars is an outfit that will steer you right every time...He has also been the designer of some of the nicest builds I've ever seen come out of PRS...

If you are going to do it, build the wildest guitar of your dreams. A true one off guitar. IF you are planning on building a custom with a few extra features, wait for some of the shops to do limited runs of some really nice guitars. You will save money doing it this way.

Fantastic thread [PSF], thanks to all for some amazing pictures - I am just about to pull the trigger and spec my first Private Stock, does anyone have any words of wisdom, watch outs or just general advice. It's a significant investment and I really don't want to suffer the indecision blues!!

I would also advise against experimentation with wood combinations that deviate significantly from stuff you know you already like, which is hard in Wonkaville. Again, the PS team can help a lot here. Think carefully about fretboard material options and look through the stacks of fretboard until you find one you really like. The Indian rosewood and African blackwood present when I was there was really superb, the in stock brazilian didn't contain anything I liked. Also take your time with headstock veneers. When looking at tops choose the lightest color maple you can find with the sharpest definition in figure.

If you are going to do it, build the wildest guitar of your dreams. A true one off guitar. IF you are planning on building a custom with a few extra features, wait for some of the shops to do limited runs of some really nice guitars. You will save money doing it this way.

That's certainly one way to do it, though I did just the opposite and am glad I did. We're all different.

I've got a few of the factory PS electric runs; the one I spec'd, however, was a very conservative, classic, Tonare acoustic. It's pretty much the opposite of a wild one-off. I figured it'd be a lifetime guitar, and I wanted something I wouldn't ever tire of, or hesitate to pull out during a session.

Most who see it don't think it's a custom guitar at all - that really suits me!

I hear you! My custom shop guitar would be a McCarty double cut with a 12 top green flame maple with a flame maple neck with a Sergio dragon on it and birds of flight on the back of the matching maple top with all of the crazy matching control cavity covers. Of course I would be one testicle lighter but that is why you have two. My point is make enough distinction between what is somewhat available with a few tweaks vs. a true dream guitar.

I'm back to finding a nice McCarty without much battle scars and I will be happy although I am loving my Santana right now.

Great advice from the guys already!
I myself ordered my first PS last year and did a Skype session in the Vault from my lounge room in Australia :) It was very cool! My advice would be to check out as many PS guitars as you can and see what you like. I would always (and still do) look through pages on Wild West guitars, Willcutt guitars, Brians guitars and other PS dealers websites. I would also google "PRS ziricote or black limba" or a certain colour which was a good indication to see how an idea in your head will actually look like. I actually used a PS that i really liked from PSF as a template then tweaked a few things to my specific likings.
It's fun and i already want to do it again as mentioned above lol
Anyway i hope this helped for you or anyone else that may be reading. Good luck!

Well, it's done, thanks to all again on this thread for your fantastic advice. I met with Jez, the European PRS guru on Friday last week and went through the spec, really enjoyed it, he was fantastic and helped out loads. Just a long wait now, will post pictures once it's in my sweaty paws.

Back