Private Stock Monday: For ALL Forum Members - Share the Love

Last one: CU24 30th Anniversary model. I saw it on Jack Gretz’ website and asked how it sounded. Jack sent me a clip that answered the question. I couldn’t get the tone out of my head for days, and figured I’d better get it before some other lucky SOB did.

Yes, it’s cute, but the tone is incredible:

jiO6qTn.jpg

All of my PS guitars sound just that little bit nicer to me. Maybe it’s the nitro, maybe it’s the wood, maybe it’s other stuff, like the touches by the craftspeople, but whatever the answer, they sure scratch that tone itch!
Pure HONEY... YUMM!!!

WOW! What an absolute beautiful guitar and I'll bet it soinds as glorious as it looks!

Judge for yourself. I wrote and recorded this little demo to contrast the tone of the 594 Soapbar with the 594 Humbucker model a while back. The rhythm guitar is the 594 Soapbar > DG30, blended pickups; the first little solo is the Soapbar model into the same amp on the bridge pickup. The second little solo is the Humbucker guitar on the bridge pickup. Both into the DG30.

As you know, I’m mostly a keyboard player, so the playing isn’t all that. Still, the tone’s pretty good:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messya-deux-v2

PS - I may have used a little dirt or boost pedal stuff on the solos; I’m not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Judge for yourself. I wrote and recorded this little demo to contrast the tone of the 594 Soapbar with the 594 Humbucker model a while back. The rhythm guitar is the 594 Soapbar > DG30, blended pickups; the first little solo is the Soapbar model into the same amp on the bridge pickup. The second little solo is the Humbucker guitar on the bridge pickup. Both into the DG30.

As you know, I’m mostly a keyboard player, so the playing isn’t all that. Still, the tone’s pretty good:

PS - I may have used a little dirt or boost pedal stuff on the solos; I’m not 100% sure.

They both sound great Les!

Yep, sounds just as great as it looks for sure. I am in love with th P90s! The combo of the 57/08 "S" and the P-90 make my CR a tonal Swiss Army knife!.

They both sound great Les!

Thanks! It’s interesting how the same guitar model comes off so differently with the P-90s; I tend to think of it as more of a warm, almost sax-like sound compared to the humbucker version.

I really don’t have a preference as to which to play, though; as always, guitars and amps need context.

guitars and amps need context.

So true...different pickups, different amps, different effects chain...all in search of the almighty tonez!I have a similar dilemma as you stated elsewhere about "this guitar and amp sound geat together...why do I need anything else". I struggle with the HXDA sometimes to get a good tone, but invariably when I plug a different guitar in, or turn a knob or to a 16th of a turn...strange things begin to happen...:cool:

So true...different pickups, different amps, different effects chain...all in search of the almighty tonez!I have a similar dilemma as you stated elsewhere about "this guitar and amp sound geat together...why do I need anything else". I struggle with the HXDA sometimes to get a good tone, but invariably when I plug a different guitar in, or turn a knob or to a 16th of a turn...strange things begin to happen...:cool:

You’ve probably seen my HXDA recommendations a zillion-billion-trillion times; I probably shouldn’t belabor them and derail the thread further; basically the thing to keep in your thought process is that Plexis aren’t JCM800s. They sound best used old-school without tons of gain, and they also sound great pushed by boosts or other pedals - this is how they were run back in the day by the classic rockers, who used them with fuzz, univibe, wah, and treble boosters.

Tubes matter also. NOS in V1 at the very least, and NOS power tubes make a very clear difference. You’re probably also doing all this. I think you’ve said you’re already setting the amp up with the guitar volume reduced to control the amp’s gain structure with the guitar volume knob.

But yeah, it’s an amp where turning a knob matters. ;)

Nice one Les! Reminds me of some movie scene where the protagonist works out his comeuppance for the antoganist!

Very nice, Les! Amazing that is basically the same guitar with different PUPs, if I didn't know that I would never have guessed it.

Nice one Les! Reminds me of some movie scene where the protagonist works out his comeuppance for the antoganist!

It’s weird how music conjures images, isn’t it? Most of my work is scoring to picture, so I guess it makes sense.

Very nice, Les! Amazing that is basically the same guitar with different PUPs, if I didn't know that I would never have guessed it.

There’s a real contrast, isn’t there? I was surprised when I recorded them back to back, and they sounded so different!

Yep, sounds just as great as it looks for sure. I am in love with th P90s! The combo of the 57/08 "S" and the P-90 make my CR a tonal Swiss Army knife!.
That's one of the greatest pickup combos! Have your cake and eat it, too!

It’s weird how music conjures images, isn’t it? Most of my work is scoring to picture, so I guess it makes sense.
That is very difficult to do. I can’t conjure music on demand, and can only compose on a free basis. That’s probably one of the differences between a professional musician and hobbyist.

I was so impressed with Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings epic soundtrack. I mean, the kinds of complex emotions that movie requires to be evoked are not a simple ‘happy or sad’. These guys are geniuses.

I’m now recording a pop/rock song where guitars will evoke medieval battlefield horns. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Last edited:
E
That's one of the greatest pickup combos! Have your cake and eat it, too!

Exactly! It never ceases to impress man, that's for sure. I kinda want it in all my future guitars...ya know cause I like cake....:D

Back