Private Stock Friday

and FYI, I will be in California next weekend for the annual NAMM show, there won't be PSF, however I'm sure you'll have your eyes and ears full of great stuff coming from the show.

you can catch the most up-to-date action on our Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @prsguitars

Thanks Hunter for this heavy charged installment

I hope you don't make it a habit going away for a couple of weeks at a time :D

I think I need to see the other side of this...

psf96-1000-15-jpg.4715

Spalt is from a fungus in decaying wood. Spalted maple tends to be very light, soft and porous. I think they actually dip it in glue, or a stabilizer to have a finish that will last. I am guessing you can't stain wood that has been dipped in glue, it won't absorb stain properly.

I've used West Marine Epoxy to stabilize large spalted pieces. For years, gun stock makers have strengthened spalted maple by impregnating it with epoxy. It does add weight however.

Last edited:
I think I need to see the other side of this...

psf96-1000-15-jpg.4715

Yes, this is killer, I would love to see more. Looks like Black Limba sandwiched with a Maple Top and a Swamp Ash Back. That would be awesome, I am not a big fan of how Swamp Ash sounds, but the look, wow! I say Black Limba or Korina,... look at the Trem cavity. Or they faked us out and its really Swamp Ash all the way through, and they did the black with red grain filler just on the back, to make it look like a cap?

The eyeball in the neck-heel is pretty interesting...

...the stain on the neck looks like a Zombie finish; Brian G - wanna come clean?? ;-)

Back