Potential S2 Mira Mod?

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
Was thinking about having someone with actual skills (read: professional) do a little nice-a-nice to my S2 Mira.

I hate push-pull pots, much prefer mini-toggles. I was thinking of the very least about dropping a mini-toggle to split the coils.

But then I though, why not 2 and 408 it?

Would this work? Does anyone know if there is enough room in the cavity to accommodate 2 mini-toggles in an ergonomic area?

Also, I know there is some sort of special magic in the 408 wiring, not necessarily looking to replicate that, but just the potential to split each coil individually and retain the 3-way switching.

Could this work?

I would think you could find a place pretty easily, mini toggles don't take up much room. You can definitely do your mod and keep the 3 way, I did it to 2 of my SE's (except I opted for 2 push pulls, but it's the same concept). Great mod to do, the hum-single combinations are much better than both pickups split IMO.

I've got a few "under the hood" shots of my Mira S2. I'm at work now, but I can post them later if you'd like.

Possible. The mini toggles I use (shorter lever - similar to the 408 switches) are pretty small (width of a dime).

Cool idea - I'd personally be tempted to drop in a 5-way switch, with some series/parallel/split combos wired up like the Custom 5-ways are.

On my Mira S2, I had my tech swap in a set of Bare Knuckle Abraxas pickups, vintage voiced Alnico IV's. The higher value of the bridge pickup (14kΩ) gives a bit more volume to the coil split setting than the stock, which seemed weak to me. They are a bit brighter than stock, but I like them.

I was having trouble pulling up the tone knob for the coil split, since it's tapered and smooth. I put on a pair of Telecaster style textured knobs in black. Works very well, fast to operate.

Back