Post a random fact about your music collection.

flux

594 & CU24
Just for the heck of it, since these sorts of threads have yielded fun results lately. :)

Share a random tidbit about the music you listen to, or your gear, or anything you consider relevant -- something that helps other forum members get to better know your tastes and perspectives.
No rules here, just do what you like.

I'll begin:

For inexplicable reasons, I have the entire Beatles catalogue, but don't possess a single Rolling Stones track.

How is that even possible? The omission is not intentional...

At 9yo I started classical training, was then immersed into all things Rush by my Polish instructor, all while wanting to play nothing but grunge. I know play nothing but folk and ambient stuff.

TL;DR I'm a complete music mess.

2nd factoid: The first song that I ever learned to play was technically Limelight, and I def don't recall how to play any of it.

I went kicking and screaming into the digital music world (MP3). I was the guy that needed to touch everything, look at the insert, etc. At this point, I'm thankful I did. 50,000 songs takes up a lot less room on a computer versus tapes, albums and CDs lining the walls!

I listen to the same album for the life of my automobiles.

Too lazy to change the CD (or cassette), and now taking a ridiculous stance against streaming or iPhones, the last four cars have had:

Nissan Quest: Earth Wind and Fire Greatest Hits.

Volkswagen Golf: Daft Punk RAM

Black Mercury Grand Marquis: The Cure Head on the Door (cassette)

Silver (present whip) Mercury Grand Marquis: Daft Punk RAM (last CD I bought)

Too lazy to change the CD (or cassette), and now taking a ridiculous stance against streaming or iPhones, the last four cars have had:

when my daughter inherited her grand fathers pickup truck, the only cd she could listen too was bagpipe music. She didn't have a choice, the cd was stuck and wouldn't eject.

For about three years straight, everyday my alarm clock was the Talkin' Blues album.

Also, while a lot of people drive around and listen to music, I spend about 50% of my driving time not listening to any music at all. I like the the sound of the road and noises outside.

Half my music is on my computer in MP3s and half is my CD collection, I'm too lazy to put it all together.

2nd fact: Less than 1% of it has music that was recorded with drum machines.

I love audiophile discs and surround mixes! I probably have about 50-60 titles between DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray audio discs.
My daily driver (Hyundai Genesis) actually plays DVD-A discs in true surround, too bad titles are getting scarcer by the day.
I don't however have any particular love for vinyl, although I do miss the nice sized artwork and notes - my eyes suck way too bad these days for reading little bitty CD booklets.

Mom's favorite composer was Sergei Rachmaninoff

My Dad listened to stuff like Merl Haggard

My brother listened to stuff like 3 Dog night

My sister listened to stuff like Donna Summer

I listened to just about everything until the 2010's. Now I'm an old fart.

My personal music collection probably consist of at least 95% music / artists that have never been played on the radio, let alone heard of by the general public.
As for my gear collection, it's.... excessive.... :confused:

Last edited:
i only buy bjork regularly, how away from guitar is that. there are random purchases but...

everything else is on a device or streamed. lps are in a landfill and cds are in boxes in garage. cant remember last time i played an audio music cd

I went kicking and screaming into the digital music world (MP3). I was the guy that needed to touch everything, look at the insert, etc. At this point, I'm thankful I did. 50,000 songs takes up a lot less room on a computer versus tapes, albums and CDs lining the walls!

Damn right! When I moved up here, I canned almost everything because it was taking up too much space. Even the Rush remasters got recycled. It was serious biz. I did save a few box sets, and some things I'll never part with. Slash and burn never felt so good. My ears (almost) always want vinyl, but the geek in me loves being clutter free.

In high school, it was joked about that my favourite two musical acts were Henry Mancini and Black Sabbath.

I listened to two or three Mancini albums regularly during high school. People poked fun at me, but I also turned some kids on to Mancini, and they got it.

Dude, that's legendary. I stand in awe.

I listened to two or three Mancini albums regularly during high school. People poked fun at me, but I also turned some kids on to Mancini, and they got it.
The man was masterful, he could switch from style to style, and still have those crazy lyrical melodies in all of them.

When I grow up, I want to write something half as genius as Shades of Sennett — the thing is about 90% half steps, but he accentuates the melody by changing directions at just the right time so the important notes land on downbeats.

Check this guy out! He does exactly the sort of thing I do at home (only a lot better, obviously).

Last edited:
I impulse bought two Katy Perry albums once, on the recommendation of an acquaintance who said they were not at all what one would expect given her radio singles. Long story short, that person and I never got past being acquaintances. My only condolence is that somewhere, buried deep in the mix on those vocal tracks, is the sound of her... uhh... commercial appeals brushing against each other.

Back