Please tell me this is fixable

Sage

While you were partying I studied the guitar.
I made a boneheaded mistake by assembling some shelves in my studio today and sure enough I knocked a piece of lumber right into my favorite guitar, my 2008 Custom 24. Huge chip in the finish right on the front.

ding1.jpg

ding2.jpg

Somebody please, please, please tell me this is fixable without a complete refinish. She's my most precious girl, I know I should've put her in her case but I left her on a stand right next to where I was working, I don't know what I was thinking...

I've seen PTC rebuild guitars from a pile of sawdust and some screws - if anyone can do it, and well, it's them!

It's fixable. If you don't want a total refin then we have to do a spot repair. Since the wood has been crushed-in, the repair may not be 100% unnoticeable. It will look good and it will be flat, but if you really give the guitar a good evaluation, you will be able to find the repair. The good news is that your eye won't be drawn to it immediately like it is now.

It's fixable. If you don't want a total refin then we have to do a spot repair. Since the wood has been crushed-in, the repair may not be 100% unnoticeable. It will look good and it will be flat, but if you really give the guitar a good evaluation, you will be able to find the repair. The good news is that your eye won't be drawn to it immediately like it is now.

Thank goodness! You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that. I was so upset last night because this really is my favorite guitar, the best guitar I've ever owned. A repair that is noticeable upon examination, but doesn't draw the eye, is way better than what's there now. Thank you so much for the response, Shawn.

I wouldn't be afraid of a PTC refinish.

Good point. Still, I love the way the guitar feels and plays and sounds right now, so much that I really don't want to mess with it too much. I guess I could look into a refinish but it seems like overkill here. What do you guys think? I assume it'd be a big jump in price too, but right now I sort of feel like nothing's too expensive for my baby. Maybe I should try the spot repair, and if it doesn't work out, a refin could be a last resort?

Last edited:
I would say that if you want it fixed, then pay the price and have it done correctly by a professional, whether its a spot repair or refinish.

I would say that if you want it fixed, then pay the price and have it done correctly by a professional, whether its a spot repair or refinish.

Definitely. Like I said, I'm not really concerned about the price. I just don't want to mess with the mojo of my best guitar. So I'd probably prefer a spot repair. I think. I've been a little distraught so I don't know if I'm thinking straight.

IMO a spot repair will do you like 90 percent or more, like Shawn says. You'll have to look for it after.

They can do a total re-fin without stealing any mojo. If you're worried that it won't be as good, stop worrying. Everything I've sent in came back playing and sounding better.

I can't seem to find the pictures of the damage done to this one right away (they're bound to be on the computer at home), but this guitar had some equipment fall on it... gouges in the wood, scratches in the finish, etc. It came back with so much extra mojo it needs to go back to Skitch to let him really have fun.

(edit - found a better 'before' pic)

100_3188_zpsad0ed727.jpeg

front1.jpg

Last edited:
I submitted the request for a quote on the PTC website last night. We'll see what they say.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;72524 said:
Please be patient while waiting for a response. Shawn's at home and is sick as hell.

Ah, thanks for the info, I'll be patient. Didn't mean to rush anybody, sorry.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the info, I'll be patient. Didn't mean to rush anybody, sorry.

No worries, man. I'm not bashing you at all. Just making sure you know so you don't wonder when it takes a few days (or more) to hear back.

I would touch that up too, but I also think guitars are meant to have war wounds. :). I would let the PTC spot repair it and know that, if it's bothering you a year from now, you can always refinish it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;72545 said:
No worries, man. I'm not bashing you at all. Just making sure you know so you don't wonder when it takes a few days (or more) to hear back.

Right on, I would've started to worry come Friday. :D Thanks again.

I would touch that up too, but I also think guitars are meant to have war wounds. :). I would let the PTC spot repair it and know that, if it's bothering you a year from now, you can always refinish it.

She's got a few scratches on the back and a tiny nick or two on the edge that don't bother me, but this is just right on the front and so unsightly. I'll probably do as you suggest, spot-fix it now and if I decide later on she needs a refin that's still an option.

By the way, dude, thanks so much for answering me here when you're out sick. I'd have made myself sick worrying if I hadn't read this today. It means a lot to me, thank you.

I've seen PRSh mention several times in recent interviews about how he wants these instruments to be heirloom guitars, the kind that people in a burning house will want to rescue more than their family photos. Well, this is one of those instruments to me.

Back