Pickup types!

cmcgrath72

Hello,
I have a custom 24 2011 with 59/09's in them. I can't say I love the high output of these. They seem a bit unruly and less defined tonally at times. They aren't bad just not that great either for my taste.
I was thinking of switching them out. Though, I haven't heard them in person, I've been looking at the PRS Dragon 2 pickups and the 57/08's. These are lower output from what I gather.
I'm a shredder guy but I still don't want super hot pickups. I'm into Satriani, Vai, 70's rock etc... Any info or suggestions would be helpful. I'm looking for something in the more bassy, thicker tone range.
Playing through a Marshall JVM 50w.
Thanks

57/08s should do the trick for you. The are more vintage, but distort very nicely. I play in a cover band the covers '70's classic rock, '80s rock and modern stuff and they work well for everything for me! I never really cared for the D IIs as they were compressed sounding and I too though the 59/09s were just a bit too hot for my guitar setup.
tfancil

Have you tried lower the pickups?Also try using less preampdistortion and turn up the mastervolume.
Are the 57/08s and 59/09s sieblings like Gibson classic and classic+?

Last edited:
Have you tried lower the pickups?Also try using less preampdistortion and turn up the mastervolume.

You also might try turning the volume on the guitar down to about 8.

+1

Lowering the pups will give you a warmer more woody sound as will rolling off the tone and vol knobs a touch.

The bridge pickup in my Bernie Masden is a little on the bright side but all I have to do is roll off the tone just a touch and it sounds just right - then I know i've got that extra high end if I really need it.

Of course, there's no guarantees that method will work as you may lose something you do like about the pups in the process. Worth a try before swapping pups though. Lot of tones to be had between 0 - 10 on those knobs!

Thanks guys. The 5708's seem to be the way to go. Hard to get on my own though so I figure I'll have to send the guitar in to the PTC for the parts and installation.

Have the 57/08's on my McCarty '58 and love them!
My P22 with RW neck and 53/10's should arrive this week,
Can't wait to let them go head to head on the gigs this weekend :D
I expect the 53's to be a bit warmer and with even better splits,
but the 57's to have better bite and punch. I would think that the 57's will be
my first choice for tons ala AC/DC, Doobie Brothers or Free,
and the 53's for pretty much everything else.

If you are going the PTC route you might wanna consider DGT pickups. They are nice and thick, very warm. Great split tones..

Thanks guys. Found a pair of 5708's on ebay for $350. which seems a bit much for used ones even though they are in great condition.

Thanks guys. Found a pair of 5708's on ebay for $350. which seems a bit much for used ones even though they are in great condition.

Well, keep in mind that the 57/08s are coming from Wisconsin, so they'll have a little "cheesy mojo" flavor to them....... : )

Seriously, though, just a couple of months ago 57/08s were selling regularly for $400 on BaM (the price I paid for them), so I felt that $350 was a pretty fair price. At any rate, I'm sure you'll like them if you're looking for little cleaner pickup with a bit more clarity than the 59/09, especially for the bridge pickup.

Richard its been a couple months since you posted that you would be getting a P22 with 53/10s. Any additional thoughts? I'm going to replace my dragon 2s but haven't decided on 57/08s, 53/10s, or non-PRS PUPs. Thanks for any thoughts.

Realize this thread is kinda old.

57/08 definitely the way to go. More open sounding and slightly mellower in terms of "heat". FWIW, the 59/09 are not that very hot - but they do have a different feel to them for sure(more compressed sounding, slightly more modern). My 59/09, which are older, the bridge is almost exactly the same as my newer 57/08 on my meter.

Back