Pickup Pole Screw Height

Jmango

Hi all,

Just wondering about pickup pole screw heights. Is there a spec to be followed? I ask because I am about to change gold pole screws from my 85/15's to nickel.

I completely get that the mechanics of the process is to back the gold screw out and replace with the nickel screw... :)

My specific question is - is there a screw height that needs to be respected or is it just simply all screw pole heads should be set to the level of the pickup plastic bobbin hole? Flush, a little raised? Individual per string, etc?

Any help from those in the know is appreciated.

Thanks!

There are as many opinions as there are people...

There is a previous thread here to get you started: pickup-height-adjustment , it touches on pole piece height.

But the real answer is to put the new ones in at the same height as the old ones and then experiment. Google turned up lots of articles - some good, some not so much. Google search results. You should probably avoid methods which claim to be the one and only way to do it....

I have a 10" radius gauge and generally radius the pole pieces the same radius as the strings, which are the same as the fretboard. Then I play with overall pickup height from there.

Thanks, I searched the forum but didn't really find much - your link helped. I'll read some of the Google articles. I generally avoid general info when it is a very specific question dealing with my PRSi, but I suppose I can look at this as a general question. :) It just seems more technical to me as this is not something I ever tinker with.

Come to think of it, I have never had to tinker with it - maybe I am just happy with the bone stock settings of PRS PU's!

Back