Picks/Plectrums Discussion

[QUOTE="Alnus Rubra, post: 365903, member: 19844"If you want I’ll send you one to try, I just re-stocked as they can be pricey and hard to source sometimes.

Thanks for the offer Alnus Rubra, very generous and much appreciated:) However I'll stick with experimenting with Tortex at the moment as the Dunlop site says TeckPicks 'provide a sharp, brilliant tone', which is probably the last thing you'd want with PRS guitars fitted with T&B pickups like mine. They do that already:eek:[/QUOTE]
No problem, I think they provide more attack than anything.

Happy experimenting:)

I'll send you one. You'll fail. They're indestructible!

I am ready for the pick challenge so let me know what one you have. I was ready to try a couple new high end picks, so I’ll pick one up and see how long it takes me to round it off a bit. :)

I've bought myself a blue chip pick after reading this thread (it's about the only guitar related purchase I can afford to treat myself too for at least a few more years). Just waiting for it to arrive. Thing that most intrigued me was the report about how much they resist wear. I've got a little fed up finding a pick I like only for the tip to completely round off. I've been trying timber tones stone tones most recently as I thought they might last longer, and so far I've really liked them, but the wear is starting to appear

I've got the Jazz 35 and TD 35. Which one do you me to send you?

You don't need to send me one. I've wanted to try some of the newer high end ones out for a while now. I'll check them out on their site and see which sizes would work for me. I'll check those models first.

I've bought myself a blue chip pick after reading this thread (it's about the only guitar related purchase I can afford to treat myself too for at least a few more years). Just waiting for it to arrive. Thing that most intrigued me was the report about how much they resist wear. I've got a little fed up finding a pick I like only for the tip to completely round off. I've been trying timber tones stone tones most recently as I thought they might last longer, and so far I've really liked them, but the wear is starting to appear
Please let me know how you get on.

I gave Gravity picks a try about a year ago and haven't looked back. They aren't the best aesthetically, a bit sort of, tacky looking, but they're my new fav pick.

Ok, so green tortex or Clayton Custom equivalent for like forever. I started delving into pondering picks quite a bit and tried various Gravity, V-Picks, Red Bear, a Blue Chip. I liked the Blue Chip best but found it slipping between my fingers some. I contacted them and they said they could drill holes in if I wanted, but I never got around to ordering.
I decided to grab some Prime Tone Jazz XL 1.5 recently and like them quite a bit. I have decided overall I really like the XL Jazz size. The Primetones I tried, I thought I had it nailed til I was playing at home one day and thought it sounded a little harsh with high gain. So I ordered some tortex jazz XL's. Problem solved right? Not so much. Band practice the other day, I've rotated a bunch of high end picks in & out...we're working on a new song...I'm using tortex jazz XL, and a particular part just sounds kinda dull and almost muddy. I switch back to a Primetone or any of the other brighter material picks and problem solved. Ugh...I should've never went down the rabbit hole.:confused:

Ok, so green tortex or Clayton Custom equivalent for like forever. I started delving into pondering picks quite a bit and tried various Gravity, V-Picks, Red Bear, a Blue Chip. I liked the Blue Chip best but found it slipping between my fingers some. I contacted them and they said they could drill holes in if I wanted, but I never got around to ordering.
I decided to grab some Prime Tone Jazz XL 1.5 recently and like them quite a bit. I have decided overall I really like the XL Jazz size. The Primetones I tried, I thought I had it nailed til I was playing at home one day and thought it sounded a little harsh with high gain. So I ordered some tortex jazz XL's. Problem solved right? Not so much. Band practice the other day, I've rotated a bunch of high end picks in & out...we're working on a new song...I'm using tortex jazz XL, and a particular part just sounds kinda dull and almost muddy. I switch back to a Primetone or any of the other brighter material picks and problem solved. Ugh...I should've never went down the rabbit hole.:confused:

You're hitting on a point that I came across when I was doing those pick reviews. Certain picks are gonna do jobs that others don't. A thick pick with a round tip is gonna do jazz better than a thinner one with pointed tips, but you can't shred or do metal with it, and vice-versa. Material plays a factor also.

I just grab the pick that is most inclined to do what I need it to do at the moment but I'm just home recording, probably might not work for a gigging musician on stage, I guess finding the most versatile pick will be your best bet.

After spending 10 minutes at the Chicken Picks NAMM booth, I walked away with a sample. Got something I’d never try, otherwise, just to broaden my horizons. Give me a couple of weeks and I’ll report back the results.

I use assorted Jazz IIIs (Sticking with the KH ones now), Herco .75s, Fender medium picks, or whatever coin I have laying around. My "main" recording/skill practicing pick is a Dragon Heart pure. I really dig the dragon heart picks, but they are a pricey gamble in the event that you do not like them.

Just got home and to my delight a package all the way from Texas had found its way to ice cold Stockholm. A GT, a original and a pure. Started with the GT and have to say I liked it right away, smoother and easier picking but with good sounding attack, both acousticly and plugged in. Gonna give this one a few days of playing before testing the others but I think I’m starting to get why people like these and don’t bother with the price.

Back