Picks/Plectrums Discussion

JSanta585

I've recently gone off the deep end trying out new picks. I have been a Jazz III player since I was 17, so going on 15 years. When I made an attempt with Gypsy Jazz, the world of boutique picks was introduced to me, and I started playing around with different materials and price points.

I had been using the John Petrucci Jazz IIIs, both the oxblood primetones and the shield picks. They're great, but I found that they are both a bit chimey. I then upped the price point and bought a a Winspear. Great sounding and feeling pick, but ultimately I found it to be too thick (4mm). It released a lot of tension in my picking hand, but just felt too big to hold.

But, I found my Holy Grail pick - a Red Bear Guthrie Govan signature pick. It is mellower and rounder sounding than the Jazz IIIs, and it simply does not move out of my fingers, and no death grip required. I'm absolutely enamoured with the pick. They are not cheap - $35 for one, but I like it so much I emailed the company and asked how I could get a couple more just in case (I haven't lost a pick in ages honestly).

I know some people will give me a hard time about spending that kind of money on a pick, but I have to say, it's well worth it. We experiment with so much for tone, and this pick seems to have done it for me.

Any way, picture of the pick below, and a link to get on the notification list when they're back in stock. The company told me yesterday they usually have enough made to release a batch each month.

What are you all using?

http://www.redbeartrading.com/ccp8/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=GG

MAx8Etx.jpg

Last edited:
I have at least one of each of the picks made by Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks. My go-to is the Hardened Dragon's Heart - it's got some serious thickness, which makes it easy to grip, and I am quite fond of the clear tone it produces. For a warmer tone, I use the Golden Dragon Faux Dragon's Heart.

http://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/

I have at least one of each of the picks made by Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks. My go-to is the Hardened Dragon's Heart - it's got some serious thickness, which makes it easy to grip, and I am quite fond of the clear tone it produces. For a warmer tone, I use the Golden Dragon Faux Dragon's Heart.

http://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/

I've always been curious about these picks, but the shape was a turn off (Jazz III shape or nothing unfortunately). Can you talk a little bit about the ergo's of it?

I've always been curious about these picks, but the shape was a turn off (Jazz III shape or nothing unfortunately). Can you talk a little bit about the ergo's of it?

The shape does seem pretty odd at first, but I find the different sounds I get from the different points are fantastic!

I like to really dig into the strings, and I find that these picks are much easier to hold onto when compared to the more standard picks out there. That means less squeezing and, therefore, less fatigue. Once you get a feel for the best way to hold the pick, it's absolutely comfortable. There are so many variables when it comes to holding a pick (how low you wear your guitar, string action, how close to the bridge you play, etc) and the shape of these allows for subtle variations in how you hold the pick, so they can work for anybody.

No grief from me! I heard enough players talk about Red Bear, so when our own jfb tried several models and was ready to discard others, I bought one from him to try. Later jumped on a couple of the Guthrie model (they come in blue now? I may need more!).

I've been through a bunch of picks. Used to be a steady Fender medium guy, then started playing around. Tried Jazz III - too small for my pudgy fingers. Jazz III XL did the trick. Still use Wegen bluegrass picks. I've played with a bunch of V-Picks. My primaries are probably the Guthrie and Dunlop Ultra Sharps - I've come to prefer thicker. I picked up a couple of the big, round-ish Tommy Emmanuel picks the last time I saw him/ Also been using a very thick V-Pick with a non-polished edge. I'm digging that, but I run into the chiming issue with a lot of the boutique picks. Sometimes I can get it under control, sometimes not. When I can't, it's back to the Ultra Sharps. And I really struggle w/pick scrapes w/the boutiques because I don't want to damage the bevel. So I try to flip to the non-picking edge, and usually get fumble-fingered.

Never tried a Red Bear pick but I do own 1 Blue Chip pick. ($50!) My issue is finding a pick that doesn't slip in my fingers. I played jazz iii's for a long time but found I could get a better grip from a slightly larger pick. My current pick of choice for the last couple years has been a Gravity classic pointed big mini with the single round hole punch.

That's quite the collection! I have the amber Winspear Shiv and it is a fantastic pick, though I actually like it more for my mandolin, as odd as that is. Any big differences between the Blue Chips and the Red Bears? It looks like you have at least one GG back there :)

That's quite the collection! I have the amber Winspear Shiv and it is a fantastic pick, though I actually like it more for my mandolin, as odd as that is. Any big differences between the Blue Chips and the Red Bears? It looks like you have at least one GG back there :)

It's been slow going. I liked the BC and never really let it go. There's a bunch in there that I haven't even tried yet, including the Red Bears. I suck :oops:

It's been slow going. I liked the BC and never really let it go. There's a bunch in there that I haven't even tried yet, including the Red Bears. I suck :oops:

I have a philosophy of how I approach things, so I try to live with a new guitar or picks or strings for a long time before getting into something else. I sold off most of my gear years ago and slowly added things that were impact-ful. This year I've been bad, having found a one of a kind 1997 Parker Fly artist, a Line 6 Helix LT, and now my HBII. I'm lucky, no doubt about it.

If you do get around to trying them both out, I'd be curious what you think.

I have a philosophy of how I approach things, so I try to live with a new guitar or picks or strings for a long time before getting into something else. I sold off most of my gear years ago and slowly added things that were impact-ful. This year I've been bad, having found a one of a kind 1997 Parker Fly artist, a Line 6 Helix LT, and now my HBII. I'm lucky, no doubt about it.

If you do get around to trying them both out, I'd be curious what you think.

I shall report back!

Dunlop Tortex.

Every once in awhile I get an urge to experiment, and every once in awhile I think that I've found something that I like better. Then after awhile I pull out another Tortex pick and everything just sounds so good that I wonder why I even changed in the first place.

Herco Flex 50 in gold nylon. They can do sweet, they can do dirty, and I've yet to drop one in over a year of trying. Just a great medium pick. Still have some red 1.5 mm Jazz IIIs (my 9-year old super-girly-girl likes those more than the pink 0.88 mm Delrins I got her) and a couple old gray 2mm Tortex for when I'm in the mood for chugging diads.

I had a friend demonstrate how important the pick is to the tone. It was an epiphany. It made no sense to me, initially, until he explained it to me. "It's physics, the sound is a function of two materials against each other, you change one of them, you change the sound." Well, okay, you put it like that.

So I got a little carried away, too. I showed him one of my fancy picks, he said, "what are you doing?" I said, "but you said..." He said, "but what do I always bring to a gig?" He showed me. The most common pick available -- a standard shape, 0.72 thickness.

So I toyed around with what is commonly available, but I decided I like the Jazz III shape, so I decided to try to stick with the second most common shape. I have the Animals as Leaders ones, they're probably my favourite. So until I get better, I try to stick with either those or the Dunlop Jazz III XL 0.73 in Tortex, but occasionally, when I'm a Good Boy and practice, I'll switch to one of the Animals as Leaders ones.

I had a friend demonstrate how important the pick is to the tone. It was an epiphany. It made no sense to me, initially, until he explained it to me. "It's physics, the sound is a function of two materials against each other, you change one of them, you change the sound." Well, okay, you put it like that.

So I got a little carried away, too. I showed him one of my fancy picks, he said, "what are you doing?" I said, "but you said..." He said, "but what do I always bring to a gig?" He showed me. The most common pick available -- a standard shape, 0.72 thickness.

So I toyed around with what is commonly available, but I decided I like the Jazz III shape, so I decided to try to stick with the second most common shape. I have the Animals as Leaders ones, they're probably my favourite. So until I get better, I try to stick with either those or the Dunlop Jazz III XL 0.73 in Tortex, but occasionally, when I'm a Good Boy and practice, I'll switch to one of the Animals as Leaders ones.

Did you buy the Tortex or Primetone version of the AAL picks? I have picks in both material (John Petrucci versions), but compared to the Red Bear, far more chimey sounding. I'm sure I'm still going to use the JP shield picks. They are very good.

I looked at a bunch. Like guitars, I'm a slut with picks. I'm using the Blue Chip Jazz III LG right now.

P953rce.jpg

Ok, wait. you have pick display cases???? OMG! I have mine in little Plano fishing tackle storage boxes. LOL I'm such a hack!

Back