Pedal Tuners?

Luminandy

So, I have a problem with over researching when I need a new piece of gear. I realized at the last show that my tuner wasn't cutting it (poor display). Luckily my PRS stays pretty well in tune throughout a show, and once the strings get settled, only goes a tad out, even when it travels a bit. I am really looking for something fast, low latency, and accurate (probably strobe). I want something quick enough for a quick tune on stage, but accurate enough for tuning for recording, and setting my intonation. All of my research has led me over and over to the turbo tuner, but I will be paying for features I will never use. I was wondering if anyone here has found a certain tuner they like more than others and why, especially live and recording artists. The other guitarist in my band has a polytune, but it didn't jive well with me display wise. Thanks in advance.

I was going to say Polytune II as I have around four or them.
I like them very much, and I find them accurate and easy to read.

Ask your other guitarist if he has the first gen, or the new Polytune II one, as the latter is much brighter and easier to read.
Just stay away from the new black light one, as that one is hard to read, I have one.

He has first gen. It would also make sense for both of us to have the same tuner. I have seen mixed reviews, but it can be had for half the cost of the turbo.

Yes, the new ones are twice as bright, I really like mine.
Plus they have strobe on them too, but I just use the regular screen so I can strum all the strings at once.

I have one of those expensive Peterson Stomp tuners, and I really do not like it.
Hard to see it, and the strobe always seems to be moving, hence why I like the Polytune II ones so much.
I am saving the Peterson one for when I learn to intonate a guitar.

Can't go wrong with Boss. Built like a tank and you can power a bunch of other pedals from it.

I have a Boss and a Polytune. Both had +'s and -'s but the deal breaker for me is the Boss is super silent when activating it. The Polytune makes a small pop.

I will have to check, but, depending upon how accurate the strobe on the polytune is, intonation might be possible on it. I read that a good strobe tuner will never completely stop, but getting it to almost stop, you will be more in tune than with other types of tuners. I guess the question I should be asking is, does it really matter after a certain point? I am sure there is an endless debate there.

Stop over-thinking it and try out one that fits your need and budget. I used to get all crazy as well before when selecting gear especially with pedals but over time I learned how to deal with it and not stress myself out.

I personally use a Polytune v1. I like it better than the Boss TU2 I had, but I've never tried a TU3.

bricel24 said:
Stop over-thinking it and try out one that fits your need and budget. I used to get all crazy as well before when selecting gear especially with pedals but over time I learned how to deal with it and not stress myself out.

I personally use a Polytune v1. I like it better than the Boss TU2 I had, but I've never tried a TU3.
Great answer! I did overthink my gain pedal though, and I am extremely pleased with my choice. After reading more on the Polytune, I think that should have all I need with both modes. It has accuracy in the strobe mode, and the poly fuction would be great to check between every few songs.

I have a Polytune II, a Peterson Strobostomp, and a TU3.

I find the TU3 fairly useless. The Strobostomp is easier to work with than the Polytene II in strobe mode. But you're paying for a few features you might not use, and it's heavy, which is why the Polytene II is on my pedalboard. However, I use the Peterson for my acoustic guitar's tuning, or before recording.

There were a few slight design issues that surfaced with the Polytune v1, for me, but those were smoothed over by several years of rock-solid performance in some demanding environments. When I need another, it will be a v2, no question. It's the best pro-grade tool for tuning I've used. The clip-on Polytune is also a wonderful product.

Back