Pearly Gates

Andy May

Hi, was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on my idea to replace the stock pickups in my PRS SE Custom 24 with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a 59 in the neck position.
Thanks
Andy

Sure. You won't know which you prefer unless you try. (I have a set of Pearly Gates I've been meaning to put into a guitar.)

Pearly gates are my favorite pickup,
Although I have not tried them in any of my prsi.

Let us know what you think

As said, great pups!
But passive pups can sound different in different guitars. Just try things until you find a combo that makes -you- happy....

I approve of the 59 in the neck. I haven't tried the pearly gates yet but I want to.

Sounds like a good upgrade from stock SE pups, I've always liked Duncan, I used to slap JBs into my Part-o-Casters back in the day before I went PRS.

Speaking of pickups, I've been thinking of pulling out the pickups in my S2 Cu24. I want to go with a Custom Custom in the bridge and either a 59, Jazz, or Pearly Gates in the neck. I play from Blues to Hard Rock, especially in the vein of Alter Bridge. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Hi, was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on my idea to replace the stock pickups in my PRS SE Custom 24 with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a 59 in the neck position.
Thanks
Andy
Hey Andy,
I've had the mark tremonti USA signature since 2011 I've had about 6 different bridge pickups in there.
I had the slash pickup first it wasn't bad slightly underpowered for me and it was only the 2 wire version I decided I wanted to have split coil option. I then tried The Petrucci crunch lab that ended up being too bassy, but very good crunch, not enough mid punch at moderate gain. Then I tried burstbucker pro that didn't seem to work, Tried a burstbucker 3, That was pretty good getting very close and that put me onto the pearly gates, which ended up being nearly perfect, low, moderate, high gain ( not metal of course) it just has a mid-hi sparkle that works perfectly for me. Awesome harmonic bloom. I also put the Peter Green out of phase switch and the 2 pickups in the middle position work fantastic for the Peter Green sound. Super happy.
And at the same time I put in a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck I have to say the guitar is perfect for 60s 70s rock 'n roll. It's very responsive to EQ and volume rolloff. I have a Marshall JVM which is a collection of all 3 Marshall amps JCM's hot rodded JCM's Needless to say there will be no more pickup changes in that guitar, They have been in there for almost 3 years now. Be sure to get the F spacing for the tremolo versions of guitars. To top it all off the single coil split of the pearly gates is off the charts for me I would say I'm 50% Humbucking and 50% single coil. I can't say enough about the single coil split , awesome, Hendrix and Gilmore easily in reach. The 59 has alnico 5 and gives a certain extra brightness to the neck pickup that helps it not get muddy. It was a huge improvement over the tremonti neck pickup Which was very muddy.
You've probably already installed it.
Cheers good luck.

Back